VMware Cloud Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

evc mode vmotion

need to migrate vms from older xeon blades to new xeon 

I am not able to shutdown the VMs.

old blades are in one cluster.

is it best to create new cluster and set the evc mode compatible with the old cluster then vmotion over?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

No need to create a new cluster. 
evc option/mode should be enabled on a cluster that should receive that VM in the future. 

In case this is Intel, not AMD - check which Intel CPU generation it's related. After that you should be able to migrate VM.

0 Kudos
Soni-A
Contributor
Contributor

For vmotion basic requirement is ESXi CPU processor should be from the same family either intel or AMD. 

You can migrate VM from ESxi (older CPU features) to (newer CPU features) without reboot but you cannot vmotion back from a higher CPU feature to a lower CPU feature (requires reboot)

In the latest VC 7 version I have observed if there are ESXis with different CPU processors it is mandatory to enable EVC cluster. 

To enable the EVC cluster, any VM running on ESXi (higher or newer feature CPU) requires should be powered off. 

Hope this answers your query 

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@tdubb123,

To be clear, is your new Xeon cluster with VMs running currently? If it is not, you can simply modify the EVC level to the one that matches the old cluster and once you do that you can migrate the VMs without powering them off.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

I the CPUS are E5-2695v2 and E5-2698V3

not which which EVC mode supports both

0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

The E5-2695v2 is "Intel Ivy Bridge Generation", so this is the EVC level you should set for your cluster.

If the VMs are already on this server they should (fingers crossed) be able to migrate to the new server.

The migration assistant will warn you if it won't, as the compatibility checks will fail before a migration actually takes place.

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@tdubb123,

You could lower the level of EVC of the newest cluster, of course if you have no running VMs to the maximum level of EVC for the E5-xxxxv2 which in your case is Ivy Bridge, then after you migrate the VMs, you can move it up to Haswell or even remove it completely.

0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

what is the error you are getting when you are trying to migrate vm

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
Tags (1)
0 Kudos