VMware Cloud Community
makikato
Contributor
Contributor

error while upgrading VCSA 6.7 to 7.0 (Unknown host)

I am upgrading my VCSA 6.7 to 7.0 I downloaded an ISO image (licensed) and ran the executable file.

As there are 3 stages included in VCSA upgrade . First we need to deploy a new VCSA 7.0 at a different IP. 

Then in 2nd stage data will be migrated from old VCSA to new VCSA.

I have successfully deployed new VCSA 7.0 on a different IP but when I am trying to perform 2nd stage , I am getting below error:

Pre-upgrade check failed due the following problem: Error in method invocation [Errno 1] Unknown host

33 Replies
DPgoArmy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that Mike, it resolved my problem!!!

0 Kudos
BigMike23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sometimes the simplest things fix the most problems. Just need to sit back and check for those simple things like SSH enable

0 Kudos
D_G_Tal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Turn on SSH
0 Kudos
MasoodV
Contributor
Contributor

i had same problem. I enabled SSH and that went away. 

Thank you 🙏

0 Kudos
Jack_RL
Contributor
Contributor

The Root Cause of this proble is because when you added esxi hosts to vcenter server in the beginning,you used esxi host's FQDN to add and you didn't configure Reverse DNS Lookup on your DNS server,so when you use host IP address in VCSA configuration,VCSA cannot recognize host IP address's corresponding FQDN in vcenter.  You only have to configure Reverse DNS Lookup of esxi host's FQDN and IP address,or just use host's FQDN when you configure VCSA.
ProxyBot3
Contributor
Contributor

this one worked for me.

0 Kudos
ProxyBot3
Contributor
Contributor

this one worked for me like adding entry into reverse dns for the vcsa i am upgrading

make sure forward and reverse lookup have entries for the vcsa you are working on

0 Kudos
dnsnetworks
Contributor
Contributor

What I had to do to resolve the issue:

source vcenter

1. Update local host file and add entries to all your ESX servers (IP to FQDN)

destination vcenter (use temp IP to SSH into it)

1. Update local host file and also do the same as the source vcenter)

You will need to get onto the UI console screen from your ESX server and enable SSH on the newly to be upgraded vcenter appliance before performing the following above. 

I fairly confident vcenter uses reverse lookup when performing this upgrade. 

0 Kudos
OptimumGroup
Contributor
Contributor

It were 2 things in my case:

1: Use FQDN instead of IP address.

2: The NTP server and timezone was wrong on the source VCenter.

After correcting the 2 things above it worked for me.

0 Kudos
HesstonNeuf
Contributor
Contributor

Did what you said and needed to enable SSH on both the new and old server before it would continue.

0 Kudos
AndyB_EEBC
Contributor
Contributor

We are carrying out the upgrade and ran into the same issue, even just using IP addresses for all the hosts from the beginning.

SSH was already enabled on the source vSphere appliance so to fix the problem I had to ensure both the source vSphere appliance and ESXi hosts had Reverse DNS entries.

Once these were added Stage 2 of the upgrade was able to continue.

Hope this helps and thanks to those that suggested adding in the Revers Lookup entries in DNS

0 Kudos
Amroafzal
Contributor
Contributor

Make sure you do not have any orphaned or inaccessible vms in your inventory.

0 Kudos
JfinchNSD
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Ran into this issue and this was the only forum I found that had anything about it. I was going crazy trying to figure it out and ended up having to update the DNS records for both the Vcenter server that was being upgraded and the esxi host it was on and then use the FQDN from the DNS entry on the updater IP/FQDN section.

Hope this helps anyone running into the same issues.

0 Kudos
libsu
Contributor
Contributor

I just opened the DNS A-record of the old vcenter, checked "update associated pointer record" and hit apply. Works well after that. SSH was was always enabled for me.

0 Kudos