VMware Cloud Community
sweehan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

distributed switch upgrade 6.0 to 6.6

Hi 

I'm in the mist of upgrading the vsphere environment. The ESXi hosts and vcenter have been upgraded from 6.0 to 6.7. The end state is to upgrade to vsphere 7. Currently the distributed switches are in version 6.0. 

Can the distributed switches upgrade from 6.0 to 6.6?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheSleepyAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Sweehan 

We update our distributed switches from 6.0.0 to 6.6.0 without any issues. I used this document when checking for any know issues and checks before upgrading and it shows that it is fully supported to update from 6.0 to 6.6, just need to have all host up to 6.7 first. 

Virtual Distributed Switch Upgrade | VMware

If upgrading from 6.0 to 6.6 there are some know issues. 

Upgrading to DVS 6.6 known issues (vmware.com)

View solution in original post

7 Replies
TheSleepyAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Sweehan 

We update our distributed switches from 6.0.0 to 6.6.0 without any issues. I used this document when checking for any know issues and checks before upgrading and it shows that it is fully supported to update from 6.0 to 6.6, just need to have all host up to 6.7 first. 

Virtual Distributed Switch Upgrade | VMware

If upgrading from 6.0 to 6.6 there are some know issues. 

Upgrading to DVS 6.6 known issues (vmware.com)

sweehan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

from the upgrade did you experience any network time out? 

0 Kudos
TheSleepyAdmin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Due to the risk of a possible outage we did the upgrade out of hours. We had a few ping's dropped during the upgrade but it only took a few seconds to complete so there was no outage to any VM's or Host's. 

Goodwin45
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Select the ESXi to upgrade from ESXi 6.0 to ESXi 6.5, Click on Update Manager -> Attach Baseline -> Select “ESXi 6.5 Upgrade” baseline. Select the attached baseline and click on Scan for Upgrades. Once the scan reports that the attached image is “Non-Complaint”. We are good to start with the upgrade. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

@Goodwin45 

the OP havent ask how to upgrade ESXi with the help of vCenter VUM because he already performed the upgrade.

@sweehan 

yes, the time will come where you cant avoid the upgrade of your vDS version because its vCenter which only supports vDS  around 2 versions behind. The pre-checks when upgrade/migrating a vCenter check the requirements at the beginning at State 2 of the upgrade process and a 6.0 vDS will be a short stopper for a vCenter 7.0 for example.

I can confirm as @TheSleepyAdmin already told that its not a problem of upgrading from vDS 6.0 to 6.6 or 6.7 and there will be no downtime for VMs or Hosts (i havent noticed any ping time outs.)

BUT.... PLEASE READ THE REQUIREMENTS FIRST!

A vDS upgrade is not supportet when using private vlans on portgroups.
If your one and only vCenter is connected to a portgroup on the vDS you would like to upgrade you need to be prepared in a case of a failure. The standard portgroup configuration (static binding?) is not the right one for a "vSphere MGMT" Portgroup where vCenter is connected. You need a vDS Portgroup (Ephemeral )  which is also manageable through the ESX (connected to Hostclient or shell) and not only trough vCenter. Otherwise you can have a hard time to get your vCenter connected back to the infrastructure.

Regards,
Joerg

sweehan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for the info. 

I'll will be performing the Distributed switches this coming sunday. Wish me luck. 

0 Kudos
sweehan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've successfully upgraded the vds from 6.0 to 6.6. Thank you to all the fellow forumers on the advise. 

0 Kudos