vCenter

View Only
  • 1.  disconnected from host. reason insufficient license on host

Posted Oct 21, 2015 05:06 AM

Hi all,

I've upgraded a one of my vSphere hosts for version 6 and licensed both it and a new vCenter 6 appliance.  They are both installed and working without problems.  However when I try and move the 2 x remaining vSphere 5 Essentials physical servers across to the new vCenter appliance I am getting a licenssing error.  I've added in the the vSphere 5 Essentials key for the 2 x new hosts, yet when I try to connect the machines it goes through a process and then puts the servers back into a disconnected state.

Is it because the vCentre server is a Standard license, and the 2 extra hosts are only Essentials?  There's a version mismatch and therefore I can't do it?  At this point I can't update the remaining 2 vSphere 5 hosts due to licensing.  Will I need to run the 2 x vCenter servers side by side, or have I missed something obvious?

Thanks,

Jay

• 2.  RE: disconnected from host. reason insufficient license on host
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 21, 2015 04:04 PM

Is it because the vCentre server is a Standard license, and the 2 extra hosts are only Essentials?

Yes, ESXi host licensed with Essentials kit can only be managed by vCenter essentials, vCenter standard cannot manage them.