VMware Cloud Community
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

differences between vCener Server for Windows and vCenter Server Appliance

I'm wishing to manage all vSphere VM's from one single system, configure CPU's etc...

Is is vMware Center Server or VMWare Center Appliances ? Looking at Youtube videos, it looks like i need vCenter Appliance only, but since vCenter Server requires Windows 2008  i don't really know the difference, as it looks like both would do the same.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are two ways vCenter comes packaged: An installer for Microsoft Windows; and a pre-built, Linux-based appliance. For your purposes, you should always use the vCenter Server Appliance (vCSA) as the Windows version is dead and will not be continued. Either one gives you vCenter Server, but really your only choice is the appliance at this point.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are two ways vCenter comes packaged: An installer for Microsoft Windows; and a pre-built, Linux-based appliance. For your purposes, you should always use the vCenter Server Appliance (vCSA) as the Windows version is dead and will not be continued. Either one gives you vCenter Server, but really your only choice is the appliance at this point.

0 Kudos
Dave_the_Wave
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Like many non-Windows appliances, the vCSA appears to be more forgiving as it needs roughly half the hardware requirements as a Windows box.

That may make it easier to re-purpose any old hardware that can't pass for a useful host.

The Windows version does have the ability to run on anything, server or desktop or laptop perhaps.

0 Kudos
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

So then VCenter for Windows is only around for legacy reasons ?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

At this point, yes.

0 Kudos