VMware Cloud Community
geotech123
Contributor
Contributor

difference between packages

What is the difference between:
1--VMware vCenter Server Appliance, and
2--VMware vCenter Server and modules for Windows?
The only package I thought I needed was vmplayer but
received a license for these. Any suggestions and details
would be helpful.

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Well, if you ordered VMware Player and received vCenter Server, then something went badly wrong.

What exactly did you order, i.e. what do you want/need to install?

André

0 Kudos
geotech123
Contributor
Contributor

I need to install one of these packages on a linux workstation

to host a windows vm. The host OS is Centos6 and the VM will

be Windows 2007 server SP2.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In this case it's most likely VMware Player (which btw. is free for personal use) and can be downloaded from https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/7_0. vCenter Server is an enterprise product to manage ESXi hosts.

André

0 Kudos
geotech123
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information. Do you have a link for the installation procedures for

the .iso image on a linux platform, or that tools I might need?

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Which ISO image are you referring to?

vCenter Server is either available to install on a supported Windows Server platform, or as a complete virtual appliance. There's no option to install it on a Linux OS.

André

0 Kudos
geotech123
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the input. My Supervisor purchased a license for VMware vCenter Server 6.0.0b Essentials

and attached a link for the software. Following the link there were four down-loadable files.

VMware vCenter Server and modules for Windows  -  File type:  iso

VMware vCenter Server Appliance   -   File type: iso

VMware vCenter Host Gateway Appliance   -   File type: ova

Utility to deploy Platform Services Controller in a highly available configuration - recommended to read usage documentation prior to unzipping  -  File type: zip

There were no .exe associated files at this link I received.

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I assume that it's "vSphere Essentials" rather than "vCenter Server Essentials" what your supervisor purchased? vSphere Essentials consists of a license for one instance of vCenter Server (Windows or the appliance) and 6 CPU licenses for ESXi (for up to 3 hosts with 2 CPUs each).

Unless your supervisor provided the hardware on which to install ESXi you'll need to ask him. ESXi is a bare-metal Hypervisor, i.e. natively installed on supported hardware (see VMware Compatibility Guide). Once a host is installed and configured, you can deploy the vCenter Server Appliance on the this ESXi host. The vCenter Server appliance is easier to deploy and maintain that vCenter Server for Windows, that's why I prefer it.

André

0 Kudos
geotech123
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Andre,

I will look into this further with the Super. I appreciate your expertise and

patience.

Have a great day.

0 Kudos