baber
Expert
Expert

datastore heartbeat not work correctly for HA

dear all

Hi

i have a problem and some confused about HA and datastore heartbeat :

that i understand about that this is :

we select datastores heartbeat for if my managment network has been failed the host will be check that can see datastores or not if it see datastores the HA will not do and machines will be continue service on that host but if it could not see datstores all machines will be restart and start on the other host

is that correct ?

now i have attached a pic from my cluster i did not select any datastore from datastore heartbeating and attached pic now if my esxi host managment network has been down all of vms on that host have to restart on the other server because it can not hearthbeat to datastore but it don't work correctly when i dc all esxi managment network all of vms work without restart and start on the other host what is my problem ?

BR

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Mathieu_C
Contributor
Contributor

The heartbeat datastore is used to know if the ESXi is down or isolated in case of failed of the management network. By default the datastores are automatically choosed by the vCenter (2) and a folder .vSsphere-HA is created/used for heartbeat and listing of VM protected by HA.

You can configure what do you want to do after an isolation via HA response types :

Leave powered on – When a network isolation occurs on the host, the state of the virtual machines remain unchanged and the virtual machines on the isolated host continue to run even if the host can no longer communicate with other hosts in the cluster. This setting also reduces the chances of a false positive. A false positive in this case is an isolated heartbeat network, but a non-isolated virtual machine network and a non-isolated iSCSI/NFS network. Should the host become unresponsive or fail and can no longer access/run the virtual machines, the virtual machines will be registered and powered on by another running host in the cluster. By default, the isolated host leaves its virtual machines powered on.

Power off – When a network isolation occurs, all virtual machines are powered off and restarted on another ESXi host. It is a hard stop. A power off response is initiated on the fourteenth second and a restart is initiated on the fifteenth second.

Shut down – When a network isolation occurs, all virtual machines running on that host are shut down via VMware Tools and restarted on another ESXi host. If this is not successful within 5 minutes, a power off response type is executed

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

so thanks

1 - you said The heartbeat datastore is used to know if the ESXi is down or isolated but i say did not selected any datastore for datastore heartbeat so if my esxi managments lost vms have to restart on the other host is that correct ?

BR 

0 Kudos
Mathieu_C
Contributor
Contributor

I don't understand why you don't choose any datastore !?

There is no reason to delete DS except if you deploy a converged network environment (same NIC for storage and management network traffic) or to delete DS...

Let the vCenter choose automatically or choose manually two DS and after choose the option Shutdown or Power Off in the HA response type.

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

Dear friend

Hi

i know but i want check all of things in my LAB now i say esxi check 2 things for do HA :

1 - first chk network managments are connect or dc if all of network managments are dc in second step

2 - chk can see datastores or not if could not see shared storages then restart vms on the other esxi host now i am chk first dc all of esxi managments then uncheck all of datastores (shared storages) in cluster setting (datastore heartbeat) but now vms don't restart and start on the other esxi host and all of them are power on    on that esxi host why ?

BR

0 Kudos