VMware Cloud Community
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

cross vcenter/distributed switch migrations

With the advent of vSphere 6.0 it is now possible, via the Web Client only, to do cross vcenter/distributed switch migrations, the extra step to modify the network of the VM to the destination  networks is great. What I would like to know is if there is a Powercli cmdlet, or combination of cmndlets, that would utilize this new function? Currently the only way I can work powercli is to change the VM network to a vSwitch portgroup and then disconnect the NIC on the VM. This will then allow me to migrate the VM to new cluster. Then assign the VM the appropriate network, reconnect the NIC. This method of migration takes the VM off the network for the duration of the migration. It would be great to be able to utilize the new destination network option during the migration without network loss.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
erikverbruggen
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

William Lam has created a script to perform a Cross vCenter vMotion between the same and different SSO domains. Have a look at his post:

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2016/05/automating-cross-vcenter-vmotion-xvc-vmotion-between-the-same...

The script to perform the vMotion can be found in the post.

0 Kudos