VMware Cloud Community
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

configure Windows vCenter 6 to remote syslog

There is way to forward Windows 2012 R2 vCenter Server 6.0 to remote syslog server ?

I read It's possible only with Appliance, right?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@ricky73 
Officially it's VCSA only, but this may help: https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2012/08/forwarding-vcenter-server-logs-to.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
ZibiM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

With vRealize Log Insight you can do that

vRLI contains Window agent that can be configured to grab certain log files or even OS events and forward it over syslog to Log Insight

0 Kudos
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So for having supported solution It's necessary to replace my Windows vCenter to Virtual Server Appliance ?

I have both ESXi 6.0 and vCenter 6.0 (+ SQL Standard Edition) , can I upgrade only Windows vCenter srv to 6.5/6.7 VCSA keeping ESXi older version ?

0 Kudos
ZibiM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Generally yes, especially in the long run

Vsphere 6.0 is not longer supported

As per:

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/sim/interop_matrix.php#interop&2=&1=

VCSA 6.7 is the last version that is able to talk to ESXi 6.0

It's advised actually to update ESXi version as well - at least to 6.5

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@ricky73 

As above you can run VCSA 6.7 with 6.0 hosts, but if you are running anything like production workloads you should get those hosts onto at least 6.5 so you are on a supported and updated version.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos