VMware Cloud Community
DDub10
Contributor
Contributor

cant log in to vCenter 5.5 after install

Yes know I'm late and vCenter 5.5 is no longer supported but I have an urgent need to get my server up. 

I performed a replacement of our vCenter 5.0 server by creating a new VM and installing 5.5 on it.. Didnt use the vCSA b/c i wasnt sure if our current license could be applied.

The installation went successfully. I renamed the old server and gave the new server the same name and IP as the old vCenter server. 

When logging into vSphere Web Client on the new server, with the administrator account it does not log me in. Is it because i renamed the server?

I get an log in error message makes reference to the original name of the new server and not the new name that I gave it.

The message is “Failed to connect to VMware Lookup Service - https://WIN-016HDKTJ2I8:7444/lookupservice/sdk”

I hope you can advise on a remedy.

vCenterInitial  err.jpg

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, any valid vCenter Server (provided it's the right version) will support the vCSA, so I'd recommend you trash the Windows vCenter and deploy the vCSA. Also, don't attempt to change its name or IP after you deploy it. That usually results in breakage of the vCenter.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

If you change the Name and IP after installation all SSL Certificates becomes invalid or unable to validate because the CN and SAN entries doesnt match any more.

Also a newer vCenter can manage older Hosts. Check if you're allowed to run vCenter 6.0 or 6.5 and please use the VCSA!

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos