VMware Cloud Community
eos11
Contributor
Contributor

cant figure out how to install vcenter, or even what OS it requires, help!

Unfortunately, the excellent vsphere windows client has now been discontinued (or at least we assume it has because we get error message "you have restricted editing capabilities on a virtual machine of version 9...).  So now we have to figure out how to get the web client. 

We don't want to install vcenter, due to the unnecessary complexity and cost, but it looks like we have to.

Unfortunately, I cant find out how to install vcentre - I found a page with the prerequisites, but It didn't mention the most important piece of information - what OS it needs, nor how to actually install it from the iso.

We are using vmware essentials kit on a single host. We dont have any windows server licenses, so if vcenter requires this, vmware is out, unfortunately.

1. what OS is required for vcenter
  2. is vcenter free?
  3. Do we need vcenter or vcenter server, or are they the same?
  4. how do we get it?
  5. How do we install it?
  6. How do we access the web panel?
  7. Where is the documentation?  We have spent some considerable time looking for it.  The nearest is this page:VMware vSphere Documentation which is for vsphere, not vcenter, and only includes info about the vcenter appliance.  On this page is a documentation link to the right, but vcenter is not included in the list of products - its like it doesn't exist.

Why do vmware make it so hard to use vsphere now?  Why doesn't sphere simply come with vcenter, as it cant work without it now, or at least offer it as an option when installing vsphere.  It must be a show stopper for many people like us who want to evaluate vmware to virtualise a hand full of non HA environments,  but get stuck at this point.

9 Replies
eos11
Contributor
Contributor

As far as I can tell, vcenter does require a windows license. so that's the end of the line for our evaluation.

There is a " vCenter Server Appliance" which one would assume is a HW server appliance, but apparently is actually a virtual server appliance.  Unfortunately this also requires a windows server host, although it is completely unclear what this host is, and if it has to be running on the vsphere box.

We eventually found this 100 page installation document: https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/vmware-vcenter-server6-deployment-guide.pdf

vsphere took us 15 minutes to install with no documentation.

vcenter has taken us 2 days trying to figure out how to install it, and requires a 100 page document.

We would much prefer if vmware kept supporting vsphere client, instead of requiring vcenter.

0 Kudos
eos11
Contributor
Contributor

It gets worse. If you install the 60 day trial of vsphere, you are not entitled to download vcenter. But now you cant use vsphere without the web access, which is only available through vcenter.

Even the vsphere client evaluation download page says "Note: vSphere Web Client can be installed using the vCenter Server installer", but then doesnt give you permission to download vCetner.

vmware, what are you doing?

It appears they have dropped support for the client so that people are forced to purchase an additional vcenter license, which is unjustifiable for our single server installation. At least we found this out before we had purchased vsphere essentials kit. Hidden costs are not appreciated.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If you want to evaluate vSphere you can register for a 60-day evaluation at http://www.vmware.com/go/evaluate-vsphere-en. I guess you only registered for the Hypervisor (ESXi) itself, which indeed doesn't allow to download vCenter Server. Btw. the vCenter Server Appliance is built to be deployed on ESXi as a virtual machine, i.e. no additional hardware or OS licensing required.

At least we found this out before we had purchased vsphere essentials kit.

vSphere Essentials contains a license for vCenter Server.

André

PS: Like many others, I'm also not very happy with VMware's decision to drop the Windows based Client.

virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership

Just to clarify, vSphere is a suite of products that includes vCenter, ESXi (The hypervisor) and a whole range of other products.

There is a free version of the ESXi hypervisor but it is limited in features and you get basic management options, no vCenter server to manage multiple hosts so you can't use HA, vMotion, DRS etc etc

The reason for the lengthy installation documentation is that customers have a wide range of requirements, however most will probably opt for the "simple install" option!

Documentation wise, I prefer the HTML version which you can easily search / browse: vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center

1) vCenter requires Windows Server, however you can also use the Linux appliance, saving a windows license. This is much improved in recent years however is still missing some functionality such as Update Manager that some customers will use.

2) No, you need a license for vCenter, it manages your ESXi hosts and manages your virtual environment. See: Compare VMware vSphere Editions and Kits Comparison | United States

3) vCenter / vCenter server are the same thing

4) You need to purchase it, or use a free 60 day evaluation

5) As per the documentation above. The simple install is your best option to get it instaled in 30 minutes, or try the appliance version (Import it onto a host, boot and follow the instructions, database is included, very easy to deploy and no additional licensing costs)

6) Via https://vCenter-Hostname:9443

7) As above

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk
eos11
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately, you cant do a 60 day trial of the essentials kit, only the full blown vsphere enterprise.  The trial does not allow download of trial of vcenter, neither the cut down version which comes with essentials (aka "vCenter Server Essentials"), nor the full blown version. This means we cant see what the web control panel allows you to do vs. the limited functionality which you get with the now defunct windows vsphere client, nor what you are going to get when you get the limited version of vcenter which comes with essentials kit. 

Sadly, there does not seem to be any feature comparison matrix on the vmware website, to show the differences in versions, especially vcenter which is now needed to edit vms.

0 Kudos
gumberamit
Contributor
Contributor

You can follow hands on lab to learn on this.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I just tried to register for the vSphere 6.0 evaluation, and It indeed seems that there's a bug on the registration page, not offering the required downloads (e.g. vCenter Server). As a workaround you may register at https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/evalcenter?p=vsom which provides access to the required binaries. The binaries are the same for all editions, and it's only the license key which locks or unlocks features.

André

0 Kudos
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, that's all correct. The plan to only let you evaluate the Enterprise Plus version seems to me, to be a marketing ply to make you buy that version. Nevertheless, there is a feature comparison here: Compare VMware vSphere Editions and Kits Comparison | United States

At the bottom you will find information on the Essentials Kits

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk
0 Kudos
eos11
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I saw that comparison, but its only really which products are included, and doesnt go into the actual differences, e.g. we know that the vcenter for essentials is cut down, but its impossible to say what features are missing.

0 Kudos