VMware Cloud Community
vimallr
Contributor
Contributor

cannot migrate vm from one host to another host?

Hi While migrating any VM to different host i get a error message as "a general system error occured".

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Danielisip
Contributor
Contributor

Is this a new infra? what version of esx/esxi you where using try to check all configuration of vmotion kernel of all host check the naming and ip configuration for vmotion check also the resources of host destination try to disable DRS and do the migration.

0 Kudos
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi

Make sure your naming is consistent for the vMotion VMkernel port across both servers, the ip addresses are in the same range and can talk to each other. Also check that vMotion is enabled on both server's VMkernel ports.

Gregg

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos
vimallr
Contributor
Contributor

On both servers VMotions are enabled and the ip address are of same range, but still it migration is not happening.

0 Kudos
virtualinstall
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you been able to vMotion successfully before?  This article on vmkping may help you to diagnose any connectivity problems: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003728

You can also use vmkping to test Jumbo Frames if you have that in place for your vMotion network.

0 Kudos
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are the names of the VMkernel ports the same though? Are the vMotion VMkernels running on dedicated nics or are they sharing with other processes?

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
0 Kudos
Danielisip
Contributor
Contributor

can you take screenshot on the all host network configuration. let me see the configuration.

vimallr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Danile,

Please have a look at the host network config screen shots

0 Kudos
Danielisip
Contributor
Contributor

so your management and some vm are using same vnic i suggest you to have separate vswitch and vnic for management, vm production, and for vmotion

ip address are with same range so it correct but check the vmotion if enable.

click properties
select
management network click edit
verify if vmotion was enable for all the host in your cluster.
0 Kudos
gajuambi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the name of the port consisting the vmkernel where u have enabled the vmotion should be the same across all the hosts.

Here name seems to be the same (Management Network) but have you enabled vmotion on all the Management Network portroups?

Please check that.

The ip range seems to be correct.

if you have vmotion license enabled then i dont see any other problem.

I have seen an issue where if one of the switchport to which the vmnic is connected is bad then you will get this error.

after checking whether the vmotion is enabled on all the vmkernel ports of all the hosts please try keeping 1 vmnic on the vmoion portgroup as unsed and another as active and try migrating. If this too doesnt work then time to log a case with vmware and provide them the logs

---------------------- Gajendra D Ambi [pardon my chat lingo]
0 Kudos
vimallr
Contributor
Contributor

The Vmotion is enabled in all the hosts and the vmkernel port name is same in all hosts. Coming to the point of bad vmnic connectec to the switch port i could not understand.

Please let me know clearly.

0 Kudos
vimallr
Contributor
Contributor

HI Guys,

Any updates on this issue. Please let me know.

0 Kudos