VMware Cloud Community
ggomez43
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

cannot login Vcenter 5.5 (please help)

I am new to vmware technologies. I installed vcenter5.5/with SQL express inside a windows server 2012R2 VM. I cannot login vcenter from vsphere client5.5 from my windows 8 PC. I can login vcenter inside windows server 2012 but I cannot even create my datacenter, no icon option.

What am I doing wrong? In my lab, should I be loggin in vcenter from my local windows PC with vsphere client?

I have an HP server G6 with two nested ESXI host. I don't have AD setup and using local DNS....

vcenter.JPG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

According to the screenshot you tried to login using the Windows Administrator account!? Please use the SSO account administrator@vsphere.local to login. This is the only account with full permissions after a basic installation.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

According to the screenshot you tried to login using the Windows Administrator account!? Please use the SSO account administrator@vsphere.local to login. This is the only account with full permissions after a basic installation.

André

0 Kudos
ggomez43
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks.

My SSO account is administrator@vsphere.local. I was able to login Vcenter and create my data center and add two ESXi hosts.

In the future, if I was to add Active Directory and DC in a new VM. is there anything special I need to look out for when configuring to work with vcenter?

I appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you want to manage vCenter using AD accounts, you need to add the AD domain as an "Identity Source" in the SSO Administration. Once done you can assign permissions to the objects in the vCenter Server inventory. I usually create a "vSphere-Admins" group for which I then assign Administrator permissions on the vCenter Server object itself (including propagation to child objects). If required I create folders with VMs in the VMs and Templates view,  on which I assign individual permissions to other user groups. What I avoid to do - although possible - is to assign individual permissions to the VMs themselves.

André

0 Kudos