VMware Cloud Community
kanagala007x
Contributor
Contributor

can we add a Intel Sandy Bridge server to Intel Penryn cluster

Hi all,

We are in a bit of mess and need to do a critical server refresh because current hardware is very old.

Need to replace a 6 node cluster of old Intel 5405 processor( EVC has been enabled to Intel Penryn as base line) To replace these

we purchased 4 HP proliant DL380p Gen 8 servers with Intel E5-2650 V2 processor (Sandy bridge).

1. can we install ESX4.0 U3 on these new HP servers ? can you point me to the custom ISO ?

2. Can we add this hosts to existing cluster with Intel Penryn baseline ? and be able to do vmotion successfully ?

If we cant,

3. can we create a new cluster  with these new HP servers (EVC baseline will be Sandy Bridge) and do v motion between old Penryn cluster to this new Sandy bridge cluster ? is it possible ?

So that we can decommission that old Penryn baseline cluster all together..

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kashifkarar01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello ,

You can download the HP Image at:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/software/vmware/esxi-image.html  

Ideally have the new servers in a different cluster. Example: All the Sandy Bridge servers in one cluster and all the old servers in one cluster.

However, you cannot perform live migration between these cluster.

If you wish to all EVC and have the Intel Penryn as base line then your sandy bridge server and existing servers can be in the same cluster.

Disadvantage is: Your new servers capabilities will be limited to Intel Penryn processor.

macvirtual
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi kanagala007x,

It's not about EVC issue but, before you check that compatibility, I think you are not able to obtain license for VMware ESX server 4.x(not ESXi) since last August VMware has announced that ESX 4.x ends the product life cycle.

VMware KB: End of Availability and End of Support Life for ESX 4.x and VMware Management Assistant 1...

The End of Availability of vSphere ESX 4.x Hypervisor and vMA 1.0 and 4.0 is August 15, 2013. After this date, the software licenses will no longer be available for purchase.

So if you may, I think you would better to find a option to use ESXi series.

Oh, my bad, just in case it's not "End of Support Life Cycle". Of course if you have ESX4.x server, you are allowed to leverage VMware support until when they announce.

Best,

MAC

0 Kudos