VMware Cloud Community
ApostolisTyper
Contributor
Contributor

all VDI's locked after reboot

Hello i have a biiiiig problem with my vmware view infrastructure!

everytime i reboot a single VDI machine and try to power it up i get the message...

Power On virtual machine:Cannot open the disk '/vmfs/volumes/51a5dee1-5df21dc8-b7a1-b4b52f6c9d10/ORVM071/ORVM071-checkpoint.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

See the error stack for details on the cause of this problem.

Time: 7/2/2013 3:28:34 PM

Target: ORVM071

vCenter Server:

Error Stack

An error was received from the ESX host while powering on VM ORVM071.

Cannot open the disk '/vmfs/volumes/51a5dee1-5df21dc8-b7a1-b4b52f6c9d10/ORVM071/ORVM071-checkpoint.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Failed to lock the file

i get this errror to all vms

doesnt matter which one i will reboot i get the same message!

any help appreciated

many thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LikeABrandit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Apostolis,

Thankfully it looks like the error is telling us exactly what's happening (seems rare we get that luxury haha) but the question is why can't you get a lock on it (presumably something already has it locked). I assume these VMs are all part of the same Linked Clone pool. If so, can you recompose that pool?

If I'm not mistaken recomposing should recreate the descriptor (the -checkpoint.vmdk file) if you recompose the entire pool or switch parents. It might only be on parent change though, can't remember for sure. To that end, if that doesn't do the trick or you can't recompose, try creating a new Linked Clone pool to mimic that one (maybe 2 VMs initially) and test those out.

~Brandit

0 Kudos
tigerdeccan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are all the datastores mapped ? anything changed with mapping ?

If they are then Like Brandit said recomposing should sort it . Im not sure if any user data is lost upon refreshing linked clones

0 Kudos
ApostolisTyper
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

thank for your answer... maybe i forgot to mention something...

when i power off a VM i edit settings and add mem for example then try to open it and it sais that the lck is locked.

could this be cause these are linked clones to the initial vmdk file of the template?

thanks!

0 Kudos
LikeABrandit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry, long weekend. 😃 It was pretty busy too.

I would suggest creating separate pools to allow for VMs with different CPU/Memory instead of modifying them directly. If I'm not mistaken that's not supported, even though in certain situations it can be done. Simply clone your parent VM and modify its CPU/Memory to where you want and create a new pool using the new parent. Modifying your View VMs directly is a practice that's best to avoid even if it does sometimes work.

And to answer your question I believe that yes, the lock when you try to modify is related to the fact that the VM is essentially just a snapshot of it's Linked-Clone parent.

~Brandit

0 Kudos