VMware Cloud Community
jmerchan
Contributor
Contributor

after upgrading to vcenter 5.1 evaluation mode expired

Hello

After upgrading from vcenter 4.1 to vcenter 5.1, vcenter license is in evaluation mode expired, and i can't upgrade hosts because I can't vmotion virtual machines for clear out the hosts

why there is not 60 days full funtionality trial license after the upgrade vcenter?

what can i do?

thanks in advance

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The 60-day evaluation mode only applies to new installations. Assuming you have active subscription - or it was at least active when vSphere 5 was released - you can upgrade the vCenter Server license key in the My VMware portal and use the new key.

André

0 Kudos
jmerchan
Contributor
Contributor

VMware explains in this document (page 5) that you can "Take advantage of this free trial period to eliminate virtual machine downtime during the upgrade"

paragraph "Leveraging the vCenter 60-Day Trial License"

thanks

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have been bitten by this in the past too.  The solution I used was to upgrade the key in the my.vmware.com portal as André indicated.  As a result of that experience, for new deployments, I always ensure my builds have some cushion room before going prod (i.e. don't let the eval time all the way out).  If it gets even close, I will do a fresh install so I am protected by a grace period if needed in the future.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Sorry, seems I somehow missed this in the documentation. I usually upgrade the license keys prior to doing the upgrade and enter them during the upgrade process, so I never actually faced this issue.

André

0 Kudos