VMware Cloud Community
xorraadeu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

add 2 nic VCSA 6.5

Good afternoon

We have to migrate a Vcenter Windows esxi 5.5 to VCSA 6.5. In the Vcenter Windows esxi 5.5 we have 3 network cards. I have seen in manual that only one is migrated.

Does anyone have a procedure to add the 2 missing nics and does anyone know a step-by-step procedure for migration?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's not supported for the vCSA until version 7.0. Why do you need it in the first place?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's not supported for the vCSA until version 7.0. Why do you need it in the first place?

0 Kudos
xorraadeu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In Vcenter for windows 5.5 I have 3 networks management, replication and backup.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd recommend you reassess how to use those services with a single vNIC when using the vCSA. They're almost certainly not needed.

0 Kudos
xorraadeu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I suppose when I migrate to vcsa 6.5 I will have to update the vsphere replication and change the settings. same with backup.

But if I have on different networks both the replica and the backup. How do I configure them? Do you know of any procedure?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will have to move to a routed configuration where those services can route to the vCenter's management IP. That doesn't mean the data coming from the ESXi hosts can't use a specific network--they certainly can. But that isn't a management function.

0 Kudos
xorraadeu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks for the answers

do you have any documentation or procedure to do what you say

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

These wouldn't be procedures specific to vSphere or even these specific other technologies. It's about general network design and configuration practices and the difference between L2 access between these services and vCenter and L3 (routed) access between the same.

0 Kudos
Jaylaxmi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For step by steps Windows vCenter 5.5 to vCenter Applaince 6.5 you can refer Step-by-step: Migrate Windows vCenter server to vCSA 6.5u1 -

~JSingh
vExpert 2020, VCP-DCV6, vCAP6-Deploy, VCIX-6, VCIX-6.5, VCP-NV, HP-UNIX CSA, ITIL V3, VMware Cloud on AWS-SDDC, VCP-6.7
visit https://clearyourdoubt.com/about/
0 Kudos
xorraadeu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Jaylaxmifor the procedure

Vmware does not advise adding 2 nics to vcsa 6.5. But if you configure the 2 nic with their ip's without gw could the network work?.

We are looking at the backup if I install vcsa 6.5u2 install vddk 6.0.2 ?. Where can I see the VDDK version in vmware?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It doesn't matter if they don't have gateways or not, it's not a supported option. As for the VDDK, you need to use the latest option that supports that version. VDDK is not forward compatible.

0 Kudos
xorraadeu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Although vmware says that it does not support it if it works no ?. Also in our case it would be temporary until we can route it.

According to the version that we have of netbackup it says that it supports vddk 6.0.2 and 6.5. If you install vcsa 6.5U2, which version of VDDK does it install?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Although vmware says that it does not support it if it works no ?.

What if it doesn't work and your vCenter is broken? Then you call GSS for help and they throw your ticket out because you've done unsupported things to vCenter.

If you're on 6.5 you need to be using VDDK 6.5. In most cases, the backup software contains the VDDK. You do not need to monkey around with it yourself. But NetBackup is horrible software to begin with so who knows what trickery they require.

xorraadeu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

And if I upgrade Vcenter 5.5 for windows to Vcenter 6.5 for windows. If it supports 3 nic ?.

Vcenter 6.5 for windows which version of vddk does 6.0.2 or 6.5 install?

What software do you recommend backup?

0 Kudos
xorraadeu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Both the Vcenter appliance and Windows versions are not compatible with adding 2 nics?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vCenter is vCenter. None of them support multi-homing until 7.0. Windows vCenter is dead anyhow, so no point upgrading to it.

0 Kudos
xorraadeu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

daphnissov

When you migrate to Vcenter 6.5u2 appliance which version of vddk does 6.0.2 or 6.5 install?

where can you see the vddk version in vmware?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vCenter does not install the VDDK. That is a set of client libraries used by your backup application. As I told you before, VDDK versions are in step with vCenter versions. vCenter 6.5 will bring the level of VDDK up to 6.5.

0 Kudos
xorraadeu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry I'm so heavy but I need to understand all of this in order to migrate.

We have the verison Netbackup 8.0 that is compatible with vddk version 6.0.2 that is compatible with 6.5u2.

But as you say the Vcenter is equal to the vddk 6.5. then will i have to migrate to Netbackup 8.1 ??

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, when you upgrade vCenter versions you just about always have to upgrade other software which touches it. This is just standard operating procedure. The minimum version to which you should upgrade is NetBackup 8.1.2 as it contains VDDK 6.5.3.

0 Kudos