VMware Cloud Community
henry_wang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

a few virtual machine unable to backup .

I deployed two VDP server, and one server always can't work normal. so I deleted it. and Redeploy it .

but now I have a trouble that I backup virtual machines , when I backup virtual machine, it always failed.

Error log:  Error Code 10056: Operation failed due to existing snapshot. I check the failed VM snapshot tree ,

no any snapshot in it,  but in VM datastore directory, I found some stranger virtual disk, VMname-000001.vmdk

vmname-000002.vmdk. I think may be those vmdk cause my backup failed. so that I moved it to a temp folder,

but failed.

I want to know how to move it safely, and I make sure the backup issue.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Henry,

This command vmware-cmd is obsolete in ESXi now. However this can only be run from vCLI or vMA. By the way which version of ESXi are you running it on?

Thanks,

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
vNEX
Expert
Expert

you will need to consolidate these snapshots ... for detailed steps follow steps in these KB articles:

VMware KB: Consolidating snapshots in vSphere 5.x if this doesnt help continue with KB below.

VMware KB: Committing snapshots when there are no snapshot entries in the Snapshot Manager 

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos