VMware Cloud Community
VIR2AL3X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows vCenter Server 6.0U2 upgrade to 6.0U2a fails

Can I please request some assistance in resolving this issue?  I've been trying to update my Windows Server 2012 R2-based vCenter Server from 6.0 Update 2 to 6.0 Update 2a and it constantly fails when installing the vCenter Server component.  I keep getting a 3010 error.  I have tried clearing out all temp files on the server, and performed numerous reboots to no avail.  I have attached a screenshot below and the log file generated after the rollback procedure.

2016-11-28_09-03-39.png

28 Replies
edbruce
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Renaming the dll and then creating a copy with the original name worked for me.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
rob_blokland
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I also made a copy of the .dll and gave Everyone - FC on the original .dll. I also disabled UAC just in case.

The installer didn't suggest an upgrade anymore, but removed the vCenter installation (except Update Manager). After the uninstall I installed a fresh copy. That gave me a bit of a hassle with certificates. And HA gave me a bit of a struggle. But the most annoying part was the disappearance of my permissions structure in vCenter. Fortunately it was in a test environment with a simple structure. Nonetheless it's something to keep in mind when you remove and reinstall. I thought the permissions structure was written to the database, but that was a wrong assumption.

So make a back-up of the permissions before you start. I still can't explain why the installer didn't upgrade from update 2 to 2a. Anyone?

Best regards,

Rob

0 Kudos
VIR2AL3X
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Finally I have successfully figured out how to upgrade my system!  After poking through the logs I found the following info:

vminst.log

2016-12-03 09:04:01.950-05:00| vcsInstUtil-4541944| E: LaunchPkgMgr: Operation on vmware-vpxd.msi appears to have failed: 3010 (0x00000bc2)

2016-12-03 09:04:01.950-05:00| vcsInstUtil-4541944| I: PitCA_MessageBox: Displaying message: "Installation of component VMware vCenter Server failed with error code '3010'. Check the logs for more details.

pkgmgr-comp-msi.log

MSI (s) (B4:DC) [01:37:54:043]: File: C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\vpxd\vmeventmsg.dll; Overwrite;      Won't patch; Existing file is a lower version
MSI (s) (B4:DC) [01:37:54:043]: Source for file 'vmeventmsg.dll' is compressed
MSI (s) (B4:DC) [01:37:54:043]: Re-applying security from existing file.
MSI (s) (B4:DC) [01:37:54:043]: Note: 1: 2205 2: 3: Error
MSI (s) (B4:DC) [01:37:54:043]: Note: 1: 2228 2: 3: Error 4: SELECT `Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 1603
MSI (s) (B4:DC) [01:37:57:152]: Verifying accessibility of file: vmeventmsg.dll

Info 1603.The file C:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\vpxd\vmeventmsg.dll is being held in use. Close that application and retry.

MSI (s) (4C:74) [03:24:09:589]: Product: VMware-vpxd. Restart required. The installation or update for the product required a restart for all changes to take effect. The restart was deferred to a later time.
MSI (s) (4C:74) [03:24:09:620]: Deferring clean up of packages/files, if any exist

MSI (s) (4C:74) [03:24:09:620]: MainEngineThread is returning 3010

So it looks as though in my case, the vmeventmsg.dll was being locked by a process which prevented it from restarting properly in order to process and complete the upgrade.

I first stopped the "vpxd" service on my server and then opened my SysInternals/Microsoft "Process Explorer" application, and did a search for "vmeventmsg.dll" and it returned a result, which showed me that an svchost.exe process was locking the .dll file.  I then killed the thread/process from within the application and attempted run the upgrade again, this time having success.

I hope this helps you all!  Please comment below if this helped and give a like!

2016-12-30_15-25-31.png

-Alex

iosifpeterfi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This was of great help!

Killing the right svchost.exe worked!

0 Kudos
Sammaor
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Had the same error while upgrading  vSphere 6.0U2  to  6.0U3

Stopping  the  vpxd & Killing  the correct svchost.exe solved the problem.

Thanks for  sharing your solution.

Sam

0 Kudos
cesprov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can confirm this is still an issue on the 6.0U3b installation also as I just ran into it.

0 Kudos
Procure
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

+1 on this being an issue and the fix posted here solves it. Thank you Alex.

TimRo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

All I did was give Administrator (not Administrators, as the group already had) full permissions on the dll and she finished the update. 

0 Kudos
snowman386
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just had this problem with 60u3d. I was getting frustrated because vmeventmsg.dll was not showing up anywhere in procexp. Turns out I had to go to File > "Show details for all processes" in procexp for the dll to show up in search results. Then I was able to kill the proper svchost instance and the upgrade went off without a hitch.