VMware Cloud Community
hashmi_sa
Contributor
Contributor

Windows vCenter 6.7 to vcsa 6.7 migration

Hi

Presently have my windows vCenter server on 6.7. As everyone is aware 6.7 is the last windows version supported.

Now i want to migrate this server to VCSA 6.7. Not able to find any documentation on windows to vcsa same version migration.

Do any one have any workaround and have done the same successfully.

The simplest way i am aware of now is removing ESXi host from vcenter, uninstall vcenter.

Powerup VCSA appliance and add the ESXi hosts to the VCSA appliance.

I dont want to lose the configuration and settings done in the present vCenter Setup.

Please advise kind people.

Thanks & regards

Syed Asif Hashmi

Tags (1)
6 Replies
LokeshHK
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I think this migration path is not supported

Regards

Lokesh

0 Kudos
MartinGustafsso
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Windows vCenter 6.7 to vCSA 6.7 is not supported as of now.

Overview of Migration from vCenter Server on Windows to an Appliance

If you are using dvSwitches, those can be exported and imported.

0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

You might need to wait for the next release.

0 Kudos
aravindgopalakr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is currently not supported. Might be available soon with 6.7 U1 round the corner. The best option at this point (if you are not willing to wait), deploy a fresh vCenter Appliance.

If you have dvswitches, you could simply export and import them to the new vCenter. You might lose the other configurations like DRS resource pools if configured. If you have none, then you are good to deploy a fresh Appliance and join the ESXi hosts.

You would be losing the following if configured already on your existing vCenter:

- DVSwitches

- Roles / Permissions

- VM/Templates Folders and Permission

- Alarms

- vCenter Configuration

- DRS Rules / Groups

- vCenter Customize Attributes

- Resource Pools

Please mark this as answered or helpful if you find this info helpful.

aravindgopalakr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

And to add to it - same version migration is not supported in any versions. So, if you wish to migrate - you may have to wait for the next version to release.

NRay
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating from Windows vCenter Server 6.7 to vCenter Server Appliance 6.7 is not supported. [Migrating VC from lower version to higher is possible but not within the same version like Windows based VC 6.5 cannot be migrated to VCSA 6.5 but can be migrated to VCSA 6.7

Ref Article: Migrating from vCenter Server for Windows to the vCenter Server Appliance

0 Kudos