VMware Cloud Community
Syllace
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 or 8 in vmware

i have vmware infrastructure client version 2.5 and i m trying to create a windows 7 or 8 vm, but nothing seems to work. and when i try to deploy multiple vm using vmware view nothing is working ether. how can i update or fix this problem?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Check KB 2006859 . windows 8 is only supported 5.x

0 Kudos
rpotru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Welcome to the VMware community.

Windows 7  supported on ESX 3.5 and Later hypervisor. We need to verify if that guest OS is supported or not.

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=software

So, You need to have latest hypervisor in order to perform windows 7 or 8 installations. vSphere Client 2.5 is oldest version. The latest is 5.1 Smiley Happy

I would advise you to upgrade the hypervisor verison.

0 Kudos
Syllace
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for your help, and how can i do the upgrade or fix it? i m not really sure of the version i have, the onlything i can see is that i have vmware infrastructure client version 2.5

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
rpotru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well. You should have proper privilages in your environment in order to perform upgrade.

If it is a lab environment, I would recomment you to install latest 5.1 version (overriding or removing the 2.5 version which is outdated).

If it is a production environment, Conact proper VMware SME to perform the hypervisor install for you. Once, It is done, you can launch the 5.1 verison of vSphere-client or via web broswer (pointing to vCenter IP Ex: https://{FQDN of vCenter}:9443/vsphere-client#

0 Kudos
Syllace
Contributor
Contributor

thanks, it is a production environment, what is my proper VMware SME? sorry for these questions i m new on the vmware.

0 Kudos
rpotru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I mean you have to contact someone who does VMware administartive activities. (SME means Subject matter expert)

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You can enagage system operation team to discuss on  upgrade path.

0 Kudos
Syllace
Contributor
Contributor

thanks, i have access to the server as Admin. the person who does the VMware administartive activities doesnt remenber, cause i didnt touch it for at least 6 or 7 years.

0 Kudos
rpotru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I wouldn't install any product without proper knowledge in production environment. So, Please contact VMware admin person. If you don't know, check with ur manager etc.

please award points if the info is useful!

0 Kudos
Syllace
Contributor
Contributor

thanks rpotru.

0 Kudos
rpotru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you are welcome Smiley Happy

0 Kudos