VMware Cloud Community
wsanders11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why is my Centos Customization Profile prompting for a NetBIOS name?

I am trying to create a CentOS customization profile:

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 11.56.01.png

In the next step, the wizard is requiring a NetBIOS name:

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 11.56.17.png

If I continue, and enter the unqualified hostname for the NetBIOS name, and enter IP addresses etc, I

end up with a non functional VM with no network settings.

I don't see the NetBIOS name as anything I can edit in the Policies and Profiles, Customization Spec Manager dialogs.

Anybody see this? Is there a workaround? Are Linux Customization Specs broken in our version: "Version 6.5.0 Build 5705665"?

Thanks

w

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wsanders11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ANSWER:

When you start to create your customization spec, even though you select "Linux", the "Use custom SysPrep answer file" option may be checked and greyed out. Even though this option is greyed out, it will cause the profile to ask for a NetBIOS name:

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 12.19.02.png

The workaround is to select Windows as the target OS, uncheck the "Use custom SysPrep answer file" box, and select Linux again.

Linux customization profiles are also broken in this version of vCenter:

- Although "prompt the user for an address when the specification is used" is selected, the profile does not prompt for a default route, so the vm comes up without a default route. The fix for this is to temporarily select static configuration, then add the default route. Select OK, then select "prompt .." again. The default route will stay in the static config field but will still be used even though the "prompt..." option is selected.

- Dots are removed from a partially qualified VM name when "use the virtual machine name" is used for the hostname; a vm named "host.test" will have its hostname set to "hosttest". This is a side effect of trying to use fully qualified host names for hosts; the use of FQ host names never seems to have been considered as a use case for vCenter; this is not a new problem.

wsanders

0 Kudos