VMware Cloud Community
terrri
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Which vSphere features will stop working when vCenter goes down

Hi,

I spent time to find out which vSphere features will stop working when vCenter goes down, but the received answers are not always the same.

I hope someone can help me to provide exactly what will happen? Do we need vCenter HA if we have FT feature enabled?

Will vMotion, FT, HA or DRS continuity function?

Thanks,

An

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

No FT/HA doesn't require vMotion to operate, where you read it.

vMotion means a VM's active CPU and RAM resources are migrated from one physical host to another. This is live migration when your VM is running.

HA - HA triggers when there's issue with physical host availability. HA restart VMs on another available host. Restart means > Power Off and register on another host, not migration active CPU and RAM (vmotion)

FT - In same way, when FT works because secondary VM is already running on secondary host, there's no need for migration. FT will make secondary VM available as primary.

Note : You need vCenter to be available to configure HA and FT first time. Once you configure, the VMs protected with FT and HA will operate under FT and HA policies either vCenter is available or not.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Do we need vCenter HA if we have FT feature enabled?

> Yes, HA must be enabled on Cluster before you enable FT on VMs.

Features available when vCenter is down :

Distributed Switch

High Availability

Fault Tolerance

Features not available when vCenter is down :

VMotion and SVMotion

DRS and Storage DRS

Central Management

Patching (Update Manager)

You can use High Availability for vCenter (VCSA 6.5) to avoid downtime.

terrri
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

As I know, FT/ HA requires vMotion for operation so how can it work without vMotion?

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

No FT/HA doesn't require vMotion to operate, where you read it.

vMotion means a VM's active CPU and RAM resources are migrated from one physical host to another. This is live migration when your VM is running.

HA - HA triggers when there's issue with physical host availability. HA restart VMs on another available host. Restart means > Power Off and register on another host, not migration active CPU and RAM (vmotion)

FT - In same way, when FT works because secondary VM is already running on secondary host, there's no need for migration. FT will make secondary VM available as primary.

Note : You need vCenter to be available to configure HA and FT first time. Once you configure, the VMs protected with FT and HA will operate under FT and HA policies either vCenter is available or not.

0 Kudos
terrri
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you so much, understood now Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.

0 Kudos