VMware Cloud Community
BellEngineering
Contributor
Contributor

Where to obtain an MAC OS 10.10 OS to install on VM

I'm running ESXi 6.0 update 3. I run 13 hosts with over 350 vm's. I run Linux and Windows platforms on the vm's. I've been tasked with building a vm and running MAC OS 10.10 on the vm. I do see that VMware supports the OS. My question is, since Apple computers come with OS preinstalled, how do I obtain the OS. I contacted Apple and they arent sure. Any help pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I can't unfortunately tell you where and how to get the installation image.

However, please be aware of Virtualizing Apple Mac OS X (1000131) | VMware KB

from the article:

The End User License Agreement (EULA) for Apple Mac OS X legally and explicitly binds the installation and running of the operating system to Apple-labeled computers only.  ...

André

0 Kudos
BellEngineering
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I am aware and have no issue purchasing license.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please don't get me wrong, it's not about a license, it's about the Apple's hardware requirement.

André

0 Kudos
BellEngineering
Contributor
Contributor

I know other engineers have been asked this same question. Can we have a MAC server running on a VM. I assume yes because vCenter has the OS selection option to choose from available when building a VM. I just need some help getting a MAC OS downloaded and uploaded to the datastore to install.

0 Kudos
regisclover
Contributor
Contributor

You can only run Mac OS on Apple hardware regardless of what vCenter says.  You cannot purchase the OS without purchasing Apple hardware.  Mac OS will not run on any Windows ESX setup.

BellEngineering
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you regisclover. After much research that is my conclusion but the option in vCenter had me thinking other wise because I could not find a definitive answer.

0 Kudos