VMware Cloud Community
Bubbey
Contributor
Contributor

What is the use of VCenter Server Managed IP in VCenter Runtime Setting ?

I have two VCenter server installed working in linked mode and i have given them static ip. I wanted to know, what is the use of VCenter Server Managed IP and how we can use it in a VSphere environment ?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi and welcome to the communities,

the managed IP address is used by the ESXi hosts to send a heartbeat. Also vCenter Extensions like vSphere Recplication will use the managed IP address and might give errors when the field is empty (it's empty by default).

I'm not sure if any special rules apply when using linked mode though.

Tim

0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert

Hi,

from my own experience with linked vCenters they work properly when "Managed IP" is blank (which is by default) so I suggest majority of services don't rely on this client setting until its filled with some value.

In opposite  "vCenter Server Name"  (Instance name) filed is always mandatory.

in addition:

Linked mode replication depends on DNS name resolution when you lately change vCenter hostname you must manually edit ADAM database to correct vCenter instance URL

When you change linked mode vCenter IP address ... I am aware that you must rejoin vCenter to domain.

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos