VMware Cloud Community
Kojow7
Contributor
Contributor

What is the difference between a Host Client, a Web Client, and the built in client that comes with ESXi or vCenter?

This may have been better posted under the vSphere forum, but for some reason the "Start a Discussion" button for that forum disappears after I log in. I am not sure if I am restricted from posting there for some reason or if this site just has some glitches. I seem to be able to post to any of the other forums.

Anyhow, I am reading the text book that talks about installing either the vSphere Desktop Client or the vSphere Web Client. However, I am confused about what the Web Client is. For example, after I install ESXi it provides an option for me to configure the hostname. I can then log into the ESXi host from another computer using a web browser.  Is not this the vSphere Web Client? If not, then what is it?

In trying to look into this further, I have also found this page: ESXi Embedded Host Client  which talks about download a VIB and makes reference to something called a Fling. It also talks about an embedded host client. Is the embedded host client different from the VIB or Fling?

To sum up, there seem to be three or four web clients mentioned in different places. What is the difference between each of them?

1. The one that comes included with an ESXi 6.5 installation (is already installed)

2. The one referred to as the vSphere Web Client (needs to be installed)

3. The ESXi Embedded Host Client (needs to be installed)

4. VIB/Fling (needs to be installed)

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Maybe https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2147929  will help!?

Anyway, in short words:

• The embedded "Host Client" is the Web Client which is embedded in ESXi 5.5 and newer. Note that for v5.5 and v6.0 the client was not yet included in the GA versions, but has been added in later updates.
  • The HTML5 Web Client is the Client which comes with vCenter Server.

Both Clients were first released as "Flings", but are now part of the product.

André

0 Kudos