VMware Cloud Community
karraralsaedi
Contributor
Contributor

What is the best Scenario for my project please ?

I have a new project with Two hosts and a EMC storage, they asks me to install Esxi in each host and install Vcenter in each host as well and do High availability between them?

How I can do the high availability between the two hosts or two Vcenters?

and what is the best scenario for this project please ? 

How many Vcenters I need the asks for two ?

Your support needed please

karrar.2003@hotmail.com

10 Replies
birend1988
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Install ESXi on both the hosts and configure the storage. Once done install the vCenter server and add both the hosts in VC.

Create Cluster and configure the HA. You not need to have 2 VC for high availability.

VCIX, NCAP
karraralsaedii
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your valued answer..  After the installation of both Esxi on each host I have, then Can I install the VC on a VM on the Esxi and add the same Esxi to it ? It is possible to add the Main Esxi for the VC that been created inside it ?

thanks a lot

0 Kudos
birend1988
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can migrate VC to any hosts as per your requirement.

Note: You need to have the Live migration license or else you need to manually unregister and register the VM.

VCIX, NCAP
karraralsaedii
Contributor
Contributor

Of course I will buy all the required licenses... Thanks a lot my friend,, your answers really helped me. 

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

And yes you can add all the ESXi hosts to the cluster you will create in vCenter Server, even the one you initially installed to run vCenter on top of. No issues at all!

karraralsaedii
Contributor
Contributor

One more Clarification is needed please;

1- First host -->create Esxi --> create Vc and add first host and second host as well --> add all the VMs I need as servers inside the VC ? Right

2- Second host- create Esxi - create 2Vc and add first host and second host as well --> add all the VMs I need as servers inside the VC ? Right

Then create the cluster and add both VCs for HV ?

is this design is ok ?

0 Kudos
birend1988
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Why you need 2 VC. High availability is cluster feature and you need to create cluster to achieve this.

2 VC for 2 ESXi doesn't make any sense to me.

VCIX, NCAP
karraralsaedi
Contributor
Contributor

Clear now for me ,, understood HV is a feature in VC,,

0 Kudos
karraralsaedi
Contributor
Contributor

Dears , 

There is some things else I need to know it please,

1- Where I can install the first Esxi of the first physical host ? is it on the local sd of the server ?

2- where I can install the Second Esxi of the second physical host ? is it on the local sd of the server ?

and the VCenter will be based on the first host ? right   and then add the both host to the VC..

if the answer yes, so if the host one is crashed the VC will crashed too ? 

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

I highly suggest to get on contact with the next VMware partner near to your location and ask him if he is willing to make the installation together with you. This is no offence!

A lokal storage device for ESXi can be:

1. Dual SD Cards

2. HDD RAID1

3. BOSS (Dual M.2 240GB SSD)

4. USB Stick (not my preferred solution)

As we always (95%) have a shared storage we order diskless servers without RAID Controller, Disks and Backplane. We save some bucks on every hosts and invest into the the shared storage. So we use the Dual SD Card.

It doesnt matter if you install VC on ESX 1 or 2. You can use vMotion to move VMs around.  The VC VM is protected by vSphere HA as all the others VMs, so when a hosts goes down all VMs (VC included) are automaticly restartet if you meet all requirements and setup it in the right way.

Regards

Joerg

0 Kudos