VMware Cloud Community
danh2010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What is the Discovered Virtual Machine folder in vCenter web console?

What is the Discovered Virtual Machine folder in vCenter web console?

I have about 20 vms listed in here and the rest listed under Virtual Machines.

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks, Dan
Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Folders are a method of setting permissions in VMware vCenter. They form a sorting entity and behave like a logical separation. When you first add the hosts to vCenter and you do not have any folders, there will be a default folder created for you as Richardsonporto mentioned.

You can later create new folders and segregate the VM's by dragging and dropping them.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

View solution in original post

4 Replies
richardsonporto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This folder is created by default when new hosts are added into vCenter and used to hold VMs that have been found to be pre-existing on the VMware ESXi host.

abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Folders are a method of setting permissions in VMware vCenter. They form a sorting entity and behave like a logical separation. When you first add the hosts to vCenter and you do not have any folders, there will be a default folder created for you as Richardsonporto mentioned.

You can later create new folders and segregate the VM's by dragging and dropping them.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

danh2010
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I find it strange that they are not all in that folder then.  I just upgraded from 5.1 to 5.5, logged in and it was like this.

Thank you both for your help.

Thanks, Dan
0 Kudos
Fluxblocker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have one VM in this folder and all the other VMs - I only have about 9 total - only one is in the "discovered VMs" folder.  I can't move it out into the same level as the rest of the VMs.  It is a 3-node VSA deployment with version 5.5.1.  Anyone who can hit me up with a helpful suggestion as to why this one VM is in this folder but none of the other ones are will be appreciated very sincerely.  Thanks and have a great day!

Sam2.0

0 Kudos