VMware Cloud Community
Mulliganx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Weird Issue - No vNIC when vMotioning/svmotion VM

Weird issue.  I am moving a bunch of VM's via vMotion and SVMotion into an entirely new datastore and a new cluster.

The VM's were originally on a distributed Switch.  The clusters are on separate distributed switches  so I just created standard switches on the host and changed the vLAN on these Vm's to that of the newly created standard switch.

The migration works fine.  The weird issue is when I change the VLAN to the new distributed switch and power up the VM.  The Guest OS does not see the Network adapter.  If I go into "edit settings" of the VM I can see the network adapter.  If I remove the network adapter, and add a new network adapter it still does NOT see the network adapter.

This is the fix that I found:

1. Remove the NIC.  Uninstall VMware tools.  Reboot. 

2. Reinstall VMware tools.  Reboot.

3.  Add the NIC card and it will now show in the Guest OS.

My question is why is this happening?  Is there a better method to do this upfront so I do not have to play around rebooting and reinstalling VMware tools? 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sateesh_vCloud

into an entirely new datastore and a new cluster

What version the source cluster ESXi servers are?

What version the destination cluster ESXi servers are?

Are VM Tools showing as outdated on destination cluster?

Moving VM from dvSwitch to Standard Switch is fairly simple which won't edit the VM configurations.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos
Mulliganx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes new datastore and cluster.

Source Hosts are on 5.1

Destination hosts are on 5.5

VMtools show as current.

I just rebooted the VM's, and the same issue happened again. Effectively removing the vNIC and showing it as a removable device.  I repeat the process over in order to resolve it.

Not sure how to resolve this.

0 Kudos
Sateesh_vCloud

What is the Network Adapter used for these VM's?  (E1000 or VMXNET3)

Also tools showing as upto date which means, you already installed latest tools on all the VM's after moving to 5.5 setup?

What is the OS inside these VM's showing this behavior?

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos
mathan2012
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Did you worked with vSphere Client or Web Client?

If you are working vSphere Client it shown VMware Tools up to Date, but you will check in the Web Client the VMware tools status is out of date.

S. Mathana Gopal.
0 Kudos
Alessandro_Stob
Contributor
Contributor

Buongiorno,

Vi comunico che sono in malattia dal 07-01-2015 al 14-01-2015 compreso. Per eventuali problemi chiamare il numero 0352050380 o spedire un'email all'indirizzo helpdesk@project.it.

Distinti Saluti

Alessandro Stobbia Project Informatica Srl Tel. 0352050301

0 Kudos