Hi I am getting following error while installing Web Client :
Could not contact Lookup Service. Please check VM_ssoreg.log in system temporary folder for details. (Screen Shot attached)
My VSphere Lab Configration is as follow
DNS (Win 2008 Server Ent 64 Bit) : 192.168.136.6
SSO + Inv Service + VC Server (Win 2008 Server Ent 64 Bit) : 192.168.136.16
Web Client (Win 2008 Server Ent 64 Bit) : 192.168.136.8
I used this ISO to install : VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.1.0-880471
Check if the below artcile helps
did you check the log file?
Here are some more informations.
Sorry for the delay in response as I was busy with some other activities.
Thanks a lot guys for all your help.
I just restarted my whole lab. DNS, VC Server, SSO etc each and every thing and then started to reinstall WebClient, and I don't know why and how but it worked. I got my WebClient install today. But couldn't configure it due to time shortage. I will configure it tomorrow and update you if it works fine or not.
Anyway, thank you both for your concern.
Thank you very much for your concern.
I am using VCerver Simple Install, that installs vcserver, inventory service, SSO in a single go on same system.
When I restarted my whole lab, the problem got solved itself.
I was doing the same installation on another server today morning and got same error again.
This time I found root cause. This was firewall that was blocking the SSO port, I forgot to turn off firewall while installation.
When I turned it off, Insllation begins smoothly.