VMware Cloud Community
Cheride
Contributor
Contributor

W32time Service getting disabled after installing VMware tools

When we deploy VMware tools ( VSphere 5.1) on windows servers, it is disabling the Windows Time service . This was not the case with ESX 4.1 VM's and tools. Any reason why this is happening?

How can I makesure that the WIndows Gues gets its time from the DC and not from the ESX host where it resides.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You can follow the below mentioned article for disabling VMware Tools periodic time synchronization.

VMware KB: Timekeeping best practices for Windows, including NTP

0 Kudos
Cheride
Contributor
Contributor

These options do not disable one-time synchronizations done by VMware Tools for events such as tools startup, taking a snapshot, resuming from a snapshot, resuming from suspend, or VMotion. These events synchronize time in the guest operating system with time in the host operating system even if VMware Tools periodic time sync is disabled, so it is important to make sure that the host operating system's time is correct.

I have seen this KB before....Actually to disable the TimeSync completely we can use this link  http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1189

Again, my question is

Why VMware Tools installation on ESX 5.1 hosts disables Windows Time Service?  How can we disable this ?

Also, if we completely disable the time synchronization using Above KB, what happens to the time if the VM goes through a Snapshot, Vmotion etc? Will W32 time catch up with its time source?

0 Kudos