VMware Cloud Community
MrSiddiqui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vsphere Standard Switch Conguration_A/C to scnerio

Hi Friends,

I need some help regarding the configuration of vsphere networking which i am currently doing in  project.

Scnerio:

vSphere 5.0U2

1: 3 ESXi hosts (Dual port FC card 8gig for SAN and Dual port NIC 1gig for LAN)

2: Dell Compellent Unified storage

3: vCenter server (Dual port FC card 8gig for SAN and Dual port NIC 1gig for LAN)

4: There are subnets and VLANs listed below

a: 4005  192.168.1.0

b: 4004   192.168.2.0

c: mgmt  192.168.3.0

d: 300   192.168.4.0

e: 100(public)   Live IP

f:   200(public)  Live IP

All these VLANS are configured and in use in my physical enviornment

As per my understanding:

I will have to add at least 2 NIC cards in my VMs.

By how would i point it to the appropriate network/Vlan so that it can talk to my external enviornment and how can i configure these VLANs and make my VMs(P2V conversion of my current machines) to my external network?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

You will have to configure seperate virtual machine port groups for each vlan - and then connect virtual NICs to the VM and connect those to the appropriate port assigned to the required vlan - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
MrSiddiqui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

how can i make NIC 1 of my VM connected to a specific port group, also i only have 2 ports will the port groups share both NICS?

since there would be more port groups thn the physical NICs?

I would greatly appreciate it if you can share the steps on how to configure ports gropus and associate them with VLANs then connecting my VMs NICs to appropriate port groups.

As i am a bit confused at the moment after going through tutorials on the web.

Thanks

0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

You would need to set up 802.1q trunk on the physical switch port, and allow it access to the VLANs needed on your virtual switch.  On the virtual switch, create one port group for each VLAN.  The virtual switch will handle the VLAN tagging, allowing you to use one phyiscal NIC for mulitple VLANs in your virtual envirionment.

Refer to the following KB for an example:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100407...

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
MrSiddiqui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi jd

Thanks for this sample config.. can you please also guide me how can i make a VM access different subnets.. for eg. ISA server whose one NIC has Public and other NIC has private IP address..

regards

0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

Assuming that you already have the port groups for your subnets defined on your vSwitch, it would just be a matter of adding a second virtual network adapter to your VM, and attaching that adapter to the second network.

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos
MrSiddiqui
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi JD...

please see the attached snapshot.. i have created one vmnetwork (portgroup2) and associated with a vlan.. then i have mapped seconf vNic of VM to portgroup2..

next i will have configured these vlans in external switch.. and instead of adding 2 NICs can assign 2 ips from vlam3oo and vlan1 on a single NIC?

Regadrs

0 Kudos