VMware Cloud Community
Kumar_Venkatram
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware vCenter 6 Update manger with SQL 2012 Express Limitation / configuration MAX

Hi All,

I have VCSA  6, and 20 Esxi host configured with multiple  cluster on the same vCenter, now I am planning to install update manger on windows 2012 R2 with SQL express, need to know what is the limitation if i user SQL express DB for update manager.

Is there any issue if i configure update manager using SQL express,..?

What is the configuration limitation for sql Express 2012.

Regards,

Kumar V

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Compute limit - 1 CPU and 4 core

Max mem for database per sql instance - 1GB

Max size for relational database - 10 Gb

No SQL Server Agent service.

0 Kudos
Kumar_Venkatram
Contributor
Contributor

So in that case I can patch all 20 Esxi host using Update Manager right.

0 Kudos
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, very much you can do, if you are ok with the limitation. I don't see any related issue concerning on vCenter 6 Update manager.

0 Kudos
Kumar_Venkatram
Contributor
Contributor

But When I am trying to installing Update manager using SQL express, I see there is limitation of 5 Esxi host and 50 VMs, my concern is what if update manager is not downloading patch form VMware and update patches to Host.

""""

Embedded Database Option:

Use Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express as the embedded database

This option is recommended for small scale deployments (maximum of 5 hosts and 50 VMs). If Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Express is not already installed on the system, it will be installed automatically prior to VUM installation.''''

ATTACHED SCREESHOT FOR YOUR REFERENCE.

0 Kudos
vembutech1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, on searching vmware kbs it is limited to 5 hosts and to 50 vms. I thought of vms count, but it is hosts too. You can't use SQL Express, has to use SQL standard atleast or Oracle database. Thanks for clarification.

0 Kudos