VMware Cloud Community
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmotion machines between NFS & VMFS5

Can somebody confirm it is ok to do this (VMware 5.5)?  We might have to shutdown a storage for maintenance and move a few machines over to NFS. As long as it is not MS Exchange....

Its supported based on this. 

Storage vMotion between NFS and VMFS datastores - VMware vSphere Blog

Thanks,

TT

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you want real validation, I'd open an SR, but I've done this in my lab before. VMotion just uses storage apis, so if its a valid datastore I don't think it matters. You may lose some VAAI capabilies though on a NFS datastore so you may see increased CPU usage on that host because the feature isn't being offloaded to the storage array.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you want real validation, I'd open an SR, but I've done this in my lab before. VMotion just uses storage apis, so if its a valid datastore I don't think it matters. You may lose some VAAI capabilies though on a NFS datastore so you may see increased CPU usage on that host because the feature isn't being offloaded to the storage array.

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

NFS if file based and the VMFS5 will be FC / iSCSI and it is block type .

And if you want to do storage vmotion it is supported only there will be performance degradation and some features won't support (SIOC , VAAI etc )

I hope for maintenance it is not a challenge because after migration you  will moving the vm back to storage .

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
tractng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks guys. I moved them and waiting for our vendor to rebuilt the redundancy hardware in our main unit.

0 Kudos