VMware Cloud Community
vFlorin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtualising Win 2k SP4 machine to ESXi 6.5.0

Hello,

I am very new to virtualisation. This is my situation:

- i have an EXSi 6.5.0 server installed. (until now i managed to create virtual machine on it and to hot clone and line ubuntu machine with success)

- now i want to make an virtual server from an working Windows 2000 SP4. I am struggling with this one for more than a week. What have i tried so far:

1. vmware converter agent standalone 6.1.1 from an Windows 7 machine - fails to install the client on the Win 2k server

2. tried to install vmware converter agent standalone 6.1.1 on the win 2K server - failed : it get's stuck at the install

3. installed wmware converter agent 3.0.3 and 4.1.1 on the Win 2k machine - the conversion process fails before it starts. (for 4.1.1 version the error is : "Unable to contact the specified host '192.168.xxx.xxx'. This might be because the host is not available on the network, there is a network configuration problem, or the management services on this host are not responding." )

4. tried coldclone version of 3.0.3 and 4.1.1 - fails before it starts the actual process (the 4.1.1 version outputs an error related to SSL)

The machines are on the same LAN and can ping each others. I don't care if i FUBAR the EXSi machine (it's for testing purpose only) but i can't screw up the Win 2K machine - it is used in the company. If you need more detailed info please specify.

I  need some guidance, searched google a lot but none of the solution worked.

If i didn't open the post in the right section please move it. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vFlorin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It seems this is an monolog....

This is how i "resolved" the situation:

Used the 4.1.1 converter agent installed locally on the Win 2K server to create an Workstation 6.5.x  virtual machine. Then i used an 6.1.1 converter agent installed on an win 7 machine to upload the virtual machine to the ESXi server. Maybe this information will be useful for somebody.

PS: if you get an error about "locked virtual drives" when you "upload" the VM to the ESXi you have to delete the .lck folder which is found in the same folder as the .vmx and .vmdk files.

Best of luck!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vFlorin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nothing? Nobody? :smileycry:

0 Kudos
vFlorin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It seems this is an monolog....

This is how i "resolved" the situation:

Used the 4.1.1 converter agent installed locally on the Win 2K server to create an Workstation 6.5.x  virtual machine. Then i used an 6.1.1 converter agent installed on an win 7 machine to upload the virtual machine to the ESXi server. Maybe this information will be useful for somebody.

PS: if you get an error about "locked virtual drives" when you "upload" the VM to the ESXi you have to delete the .lck folder which is found in the same folder as the .vmx and .vmdk files.

Best of luck!

0 Kudos
andresdom83
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

you nailed it!!!!! i was going crazy triying to do it... Cheeers mate

0 Kudos