VMware Cloud Community
pravin_utekar12
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual machine Migration failed..with error..

Hi Experts,

Getting below error when system initiate   Virtual Machine migration in the cluster.

The migration was canceled because the amount of changing memory for the virtual machine was greater than the available network bandwidth. Attempt the migration again when the virtual machine is not as busy or more network bandwidth is available.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

Module Migrate power on failed.

vMotion migration [-1062730416:1386578843436900] failed reading stream completion: Connection closed by remote host, possibly due to timeout

I am unable to find the reason for this when I do the migration manually Virtual machine migrate successfully but then again remigrate to previous host.

All system genrated migration getting failed in this cluster

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Check this KB Article for resolution

VMware KB: vMotion fails with connection errors

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
pravin_utekar12
Contributor
Contributor

HI Abhilash,

Thanks for the reply but this is a different case error getting in my case is different.

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

this issue related to not enough bandwidth of the network connection. for the best practice use VLAN and traffic shaping.  dont do vmotion more than few vms which depends on your speed. i hope there is no specific slotion for this issue.

0 Kudos
pravin_utekar12
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dhanraj,

I checked from network end and there is no issue from network end there is no band width issue in the network.

Can you suggest another way to solve this issue.

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

simultaneously how many vmotion instances happened on that time? what I know is that on 10GB up-link u can do maximum 8 instances of  v motion  and on 1Gb up-link you can do maximum 4 instances of VMotion. vmotion uses heavy network traffic and can be bursty at this time.  may be you can increase the interval time on the host.  do some work around these area anyway how do u configured the network for vmotion traffic?  timeout.JPG

0 Kudos
pravin_utekar12
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dhanraj,

There is only one migration is happening at a time but it is frequent and  this issue is happening for only one specific host.

VMotion is initiated  frequently from the host and getting failed.You can see the networking in below screen shot.

2013-12-12_122424.jpg

you can see the error below

2013-12-12_123018.jpg

2013-12-12_122857.jpg

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

i hope this is your home lab, i think this would happened because of insufficient memow of both system and CPU speed. please add more memory and enough CPU. thanks. I don't have any option more than this. sorry

0 Kudos
DaithiOC
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, I know this is an old post but I had the very same issue. Just figured it out.

The cause:

I had a separate vSwitch for vMotion using VLANs configured for a particular cluster but forgot to turn off vMotion on one of the hosts on the original VM vSwitch.

When I tried to vMotion to that host it was trying to use the VM vSwitch IP sub-net on a particular VLAN to connect to the vMotion IP sub-net on a seperate VLAN, which obviously wont work.

In other words, if you have a seperate vSwitch configured for vMotion, make sure that vMotion is turned off for all other vSwitches.

By the way, this particular setup results in a ping or vmkping between the hosts working perfectly.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
mribeiro01
Contributor
Contributor

Hi DaithiOC

This kb VMware KB: vMotion fails with the error: Migration to host <x.x.x.x> failed with error Out of memory describes a very similar to this problem. Check that suits you

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
nwittich
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar issue in my environment except it was effecting two hosts out of ten.  The cause was traffic shaping limiting to 100mbps on the vMotion port group.  When we removed traffic shaping, the migrations started to pass.

0 Kudos