VMware Cloud Community
pkg
Contributor
Contributor

Veeam vs. VDP 6.0

Hi All,

We currently have our VM backups in EMC Avamar to EMC Data Domain storage, but the Avamar licensing is prohibitively expensive.  As a workaround, possibly, just for a year or two, we are looking at moving our VM backups to either Veeam or VDP 6.0.  We would be buying Veeam or upgrading vCenter from 5.5 to 6.0 to get access to VDP 6.0 backups, if I understand the recommendations correctly.

Does anybody have recommendations for which to choose?  I would be particularly interested in hearing from folks with experience in the new VDP 6.0 as well as a fairly current Veeam release.

I am hoping to get some real world feedback and haven't been able to find much that wasn't marketing material.  But if you know of independent information comparing the two products, please let me know that as well.

Thank you,

Paul

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ch1ta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Some general comparison can be found either on this community or on Veeam forums. Though, the best approach is mentioned in the referenced thread - install both products, get familiar with them and what they can propose to you, and see which one answers your requirements best. Because without actual deployment, you can't be sure that product and its features work in reality in the way papers ascribe to them.

Cheers.

0 Kudos