VMware Cloud Community
slavonac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vcenter settings migration from 6.7 to 7

HI

I have vcenter server 6.7 that for a long time will stay where it is. We just deployed new vCenter server 7 and need to migrate settings like dVS switches from one server to another but not migrate old vcenter to a new location just its settings

Is there any way to back it up and restore it. I know standard switches cannot be done but that is easy our most concern is dVS and other settings

If we use server backup on management console 5480 how we can restore settings on new server

Labels (1)
  • Hi

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
slavonac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ya distributed switches I can export and import back. I guess if I want to make hosts the same Host profile would do the job

0 Kudos
joffrey_godard
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Some settings between 6.x and 7 change, be careful. You might be able to bulk import some advanced settings that are not used anymore on 7, so the new settings would never be set up...

One thing you might try, if you can, would be to update the oldv Center to 7 (or even a clone, if you can) and then export a 7-compatible config?

Same thing for the host profiles, I would advice you tu update a compliant host to 7 with VUM and then export the host profile. I've had issues with storage claim rules for example that I only managed to solve easily that way.

slavonac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks a lot for pointers. I will just basically export dVS becaus this needs lots of configuration of course vmkernel ports will have different addresses.

Host profile we created one host and then apply host profile from this host as hosts are exactly same in particular clusters

0 Kudos