VMware Cloud Community
anaxagorasbc
Contributor
Contributor

Vcenter keeps changing port in vpxa.cfg from 902 to 922

I'm really confused here, and i very well could be missing something.  I've just upgraded to 5.5 from 5.1 and started having problems.

I have an issue where vcenter keeps dropping the esxi host, marking it as discconnected, after 60 seconds or so.

i've determined it's because it is not getting a heart beat from esxi host.

running some packet captures i found that the esxi host was not sending the heartbeat on port 902, but for some reason on port 922.

I have installed and reinstalled vcenter multiple times making sure the port entered in the setup is 902.

i have manually edited the /etc/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg and saved it changing the port back then manually restarted the services.  Eureka! it starts sending the heartbeat out on port 902... and then i go to vsphere and reconnect to the host and i'm foiled.  it reconfigures the vpxa.cfg back to 922 and the heartbeat starts going out on 922.  except vcenter is not listening on 922...

HELP  I'm at my whits end.

3 Replies
anaxagorasbc
Contributor
Contributor

I gave up and did a format c and reinstalled server 2012.... it worked.  Used port 902.

I have no idea what the issue was.  The system worked fine with vcenter 5.1 installed, but for whatever reason broke when i installed vcenter 5.5.

0 Kudos
Data12345
Contributor
Contributor

you probably have the value 922 at this location on the vcenter server in the registry  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VirtualCenter        heartbeatport    922

Follow steps to solve:

1. Take a backup of your registry settings
  2. Change the heartbeatport to 902  in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VirtualCenter     
  3. Restart the vcenter server service (you may be asked to restart the web service as well. This will not affect any running VM’s)
  4. Reconnect your hosts in Vcenter
  5. When they are fully connected, SSH to one of the hosts and check the server port value. It should now be 902.         
  6. use this command   ----->     grep serverPort /etc/vmware/vpxa/vpxa.cfg
ikroumov
Contributor
Contributor

This registry key is exactly what was causing the problem. Once I corrected the port everything was OK.

0 Kudos