VMware Cloud Community
epxert123
Contributor
Contributor

Vcenter and vshpere HA requirements

I am going to deploy vcenter HA and vshpere HA to automate migrate VM to another EXSI host in case of hardware failure.etc.

From the docs, I am aware that at lease 3 nodes  with 2 NICs( management and HA network) are required for vcenter HA.

I'm curious that can I use 3 node with ESXI installed, and reside Vcenter HA and vshpere VMotion/DRS on the same 3 nodes as well?

Does it need 3 NICs( management, HA, Vmotion) if the answer is yes?

I have finished the test that Vmotion/DRS and migrated VM automatically, yet with a single Vcenter, wich is a single point of failure.

Thanks.

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, vCHA can be enabled on a cluster of ESXi hosts that also have HA and DRS enabled. From the vCSA perspective, only two vNICs are needed, not a third.

0 Kudos
epxert123
Contributor
Contributor

Yet when I setup vcHA,  there is a step that add network adapter for active node and then select vCenter HA network. I only see the management network show up.

Another one has been setup for Vmotion.

Anything wrong?

Please see the attchment.

0 Kudos
epxert123
Contributor
Contributor

Do I need to add a new portgroup on the second NIC( NOT management NIC) for HA ?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, you need a dedicated network for the HA network that is a different VLAN than the management network and uses a separate IP schema.

0 Kudos
epxert123
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, here is what I am going to try:

1).

1. set the second NIC interface to 'access mode' on the relevant switch, add a vswitch named vswitch1, attaching to the second NIC.

2. Add 2 portgroup to vswitch1, one is HA, the other one is vmotion.Set ip subnets.

3. test.

2).

1. set the second NIC interface to 'trunk mode' on switch, and then add vswitch1 as above.

2. add 2 portgroup to vswitch1, with different vlan ids and subnets.

3. test.

Will keep this post updated.

0 Kudos
epxert123
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, both method are OK, my problem has nothing to do with it.

The critical part is that I need to add the 2nd NICs for VM 'vcenter' first and put in on the HA network, then setup VCHA.

Thanks.

0 Kudos