spartakos80
Contributor
Contributor

Vcenter Upgrade?

hello,

my environment contains:

hp blade server c7000 with hosts installed on it ESXi 5.1 and 5.5

Vcenter 5.5 on win 2008 R2 and external database on SQL 2008

if i need to make upgrade to Vcenter to V6 should i uninstall the existing version and install the V6 or i can make fresh OS (win 2012) and install the V6 if i make that can i point to the external DB that hosted on SQL server and will work normally and all the cluster that i create will appear normally?

if i need to make upgrade the ESXi to V6 also is my blade server compatible with it?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

‌Hi there,

You will need to check your hardware against the VMware hardware compatability guide to ensure it is compatible with ESXi6:

VMware Compatibility Guide - System Search

In regards to the upgrade, is there any particular reason you want to stay with a Windows install of vCenter? There is little reason to not move to the vCenter Server Appliance (VCSA), and VMware have recently released a migration tool that will migrate your 5.5 vCenter to 6.0u2 appliance:

vCenter Server Migration Tool: vSphere 6.0 Update 2m - VMware vSphere Blog

Cheers, Matt.

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!
0 Kudos
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Check the hardware compatibility of your existing server hardware with ESXi 6.

if you are looking to change the OS of vCenter, then I would suggest you to switch vCenter appliance.

its very easy and straight forward.

Windows vCenter Migration to vCenter Appliance » vPRH

vCenter Migration Tool » vPRH

If still you want to go with Windows based vCenter only then you can follow below steps to migrate vCenter 5.5 from Windows 2008 to Windows 2012 and vCenter 6.

How to move ESXi/ESX host from one vCenter Server to another (1004775) | VMware KB

-

Haridas

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos
spartakos80
Contributor
Contributor

many thanks for replay, the only reason for this just installed vmware horizon composer service

0 Kudos