VMware Cloud Community
PramodKumarSama
Contributor
Contributor

Vcenter Upgrade from 5.1 to 6.0

I do have Vcenter 5.1 in one machine with Vcenter,SSO & all other Components installed in that one Machine & Database installed on Separate Machine WITH sql 2008.Mean while i had upgraded the SQL Server machine to SQL 2012.

Can i do a fresh Installation of Vcenter 6.0 in a Two brand new machines with Windows 2012 , one with PSC & other with VC but connect to same Previous Database which is SQL 2012.

Will this arrangement will work ?, do i loose any host or VM configuration in vcenter inventory or while connecting to VC via Web client ?

Please revert urgently.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

No, that won't work. There are wildly different schemata between what vCenter 5.1 and 6.0 need. And, regardless, you don't need to be going to a Windows vCenter at this point, even if you are horrendously behind times. Take this opportunity to upgrade on the vCSA.

0 Kudos
EricChigoz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Pramo,

Please help me understand your challenge:

1. you have Windows VCS 5.1  on one box?
  2. SQL 2008 (later upgraded to 2012) on another box?
  3. Can i do a fresh Installation of VCenter 6.0 in a Two brand new machines with Windows 2012 , one with PSC & other with VC but connect to same Previous Database which is SQL 2012 ?

MY RESPONSE:

1. Please try setting  a VCSA 6.0 OR 6.5 OR 6.7 on one of your hosts (These are appliances and come with Native database system)
    2. You can have your psc embedded .
    3. Add your hosts to the new VCSA once setup is completed.

Hope this helps

Find this helpful? Please award points. Thank you !
0 Kudos
PramodKumarSama
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, now felt VCSA is best option to Migrate.Will go by that.

MIgrate to VC5.5 first & then using vcsa migration assistant tool, will migrate to VC 6.5

0 Kudos
notjustlab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI Pramod,

yes, this is quite possible. you can upgrade vcenter 5.1 till 6.0 wtih PSC on difference server . All you need to specify External Database for PSC and VC while installing\Upgrading.

By the way what is the Current OS on your vCenter server ?

0 Kudos