VMware Cloud Community
IKirill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vcenter Server 6 does not create logs

Hi for all! Please Help!

I have Vcenter Server 6.0 on the Windows platform. I recently found that does not create logs in directory C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs.

In particular, I would like to read the latest VPXD logs, but in this folder I only see very old files in this folder.

The Vcenter service starts from a domain account. I checked NTFS permissions on the \Logs folder for the user from which the service is started.  It's okay! Disk space available.

I opened the console and went to Home-Administration-system Log-MyVcenter, from the drop-down list I chose Vcenter Server Logs (vpxd-3122.log). I decided to look for this file on the Vcenter server, but did not find this file.

What needs to be done for to lags emerged in C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Check the following KB - https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2110014

According to this KB, vCenter Server 6.0 log files are located in different directory (not in C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs) so it is normal that you do not see any log files there.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
GayathriS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Are you saying that you dont find latest VPXD logs ? you see only old vcneter logs.

If yes what is the last date that you can see VPXD logs for .

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
IKirill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for reply GayathriS!

All the files in the /logs folder from 2016, for example.

The Vcenter log is the vpxd-3506.log file. Date modified - 10/25/2016.

The file takes 13 megabytes.

I want to study the logs in order to understand why the VCenter Server Service periodically is stopping. In System Windwos logs i see that: "The VMware VirtualCenter Server service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 250 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service."

server time is correct

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sounds like a support case. I'll also add that you really need to get off your Windows-based vCenter as soon as humanly possible and on to the appliance (that actually has a future path).

0 Kudos
iiliev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Check the following KB - https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2110014

According to this KB, vCenter Server 6.0 log files are located in different directory (not in C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs) so it is normal that you do not see any log files there.

0 Kudos
IKirill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks!

i am go to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMWare\vCenterServer\logs and find vpxd-3122.log!!!

different articles are used for different log locations

0 Kudos