VMware Cloud Community
IAMGOLD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vcenter SSO 5.5 upgrade issues - Cannot start VMWARE KDC SERVICE

Hi, I am trying to upgrade my current SSO which was installed about a month ago (did a complete reinstall of my whole vcenter environment.

At some point, the install fails giving me this error message. "Service 'VMware Kdc Service' (WMwareKdcService) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."

I am installing as the domain admin, which obviously has local admin rights on the Windows server.

Any help, or can anyone point me to a log file I can look at or something.

Thanks!

Michel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IAMGOLD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

More fiddling around... KDC Service requires port 88 to start.

Netstat -abn shows that vpxd.exe is using port 88. When I installed vCenter, I had chosen port 88 as port 80 was already in use by IIS... I have now disabled IIS and want to move vCenter back to port 80.

Now, anyone has a clue how I can change vCenter back to port 80?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IAMGOLD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

To add to this here is what I've done:

- Disabled UAC

- Added everyone to "Log on as a Service"

- Ran install from both mounted ISO and from an extracted ISO located on the server.

- Uninstalled Antivirus (Forefront Endpoint Protection)

My current setup is this..

Windows 2008R2 VM, latest patches.

Server currently has these roles:

- SSO 5.1

- Inventory service 5.1

- vCenter 5.1

- Update manager 5.1

0 Kudos
IAMGOLD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

More fiddling around... KDC Service requires port 88 to start.

Netstat -abn shows that vpxd.exe is using port 88. When I installed vCenter, I had chosen port 88 as port 80 was already in use by IIS... I have now disabled IIS and want to move vCenter back to port 80.

Now, anyone has a clue how I can change vCenter back to port 80?

0 Kudos
IAMGOLD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, it's actually easier than I thought... Go into vCenter Server Settings into advanced settings and change the WebService.Ports.http Key...

SSO upgrades now works like a charm! Smiley Happy

NathanC9
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is actually a good reason to not install to many other apps (even VMWare related)  on the same VM as vCenter.   I ran into this problem as well since I installed the Emulex OCM for VMware (uses a tomcat service).

The KB for this issue is out.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=206059...

0 Kudos