VMware Cloud Community
imran75
Contributor
Contributor

Vcenter Migrate problem

hi i have created cluster but when i try to migrate it gives me EVC compatibility and when i edit evc choose one of the option again not compatibility this time optionsWhatsApp Image 2019-11-15 at 11.34.14.jpeg

0 Kudos
16 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

possible EVC modes depend on the ESXi hosts' processor, and any already powered on (or suspended) VMs.

The EVC mode has to be lower, or equal to the hardware's capabilities, but the same, or higher as already running VMs.

If you cannot figure out what to use, please provide details about the ESXi hosts, i.e. their CPUs.

André

0 Kudos
imran75
Contributor
Contributor

But i choose all option and again not possible.and all my vm is on power on status

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please answer the following questions:

• what's the  vCenter Server version and build?
  • what's the ESXi host version and build?
  • what server hardware do you use, i.e. which CPU models?

André

0 Kudos
imran75
Contributor
Contributor

vcenter 6.7

esxi 6.7 updtate u3

hpe proliant 580 gen 9 and gen 10 cpu 8848 core 4

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

Hello Imran,

EVC cannot be enabled (or the host cannot be admitted into a EVC enabled cluster) on a cluster with VMs being in powered on status.

EVC Mode - Intel Merom Gen - Xeon E5345 - E5-2690 - The host cannot be admitted the cluster's curren...

VMware Knowledge Base

-Supreet

0 Kudos
imran75
Contributor
Contributor

i didnt understand i have to power off all my vms?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The screenshot that you've posted doesn't show the "Broadwell" and "Skylake" compatibility mode.

Which vCenter Server "Build" do you have installed? It may be worth updating to the latest build.

André

0 Kudos
SupreetK
Commander
Commander

As per my understanding, yes you have to. EVC cannot be enabled on a cluster which has VMs in powered on state. Please check step-21 in the below KB -

VMware Knowledge Base

-Supreet

0 Kudos
imran75
Contributor
Contributor

no i  choose all options they all shows not compatibility with gen 10 server.other shows not compatibility both gen 9 and gen 10 server.but my server is critical i cant turn off.but i remember before i can migrate vm without cluster.just enable vmotion in between esxi 6 and 5.5 but after update i cant migrate

0 Kudos
imran75
Contributor
Contributor

but also i triend enable evc and then when i tried to add second host to cluster i didnt do because i showed not compatibility ti add host cluster evc

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

you write you can migrate vm BEFORE enabling vmotion ? how?

btw: shutting down the vm and then check the evc-mode that is possible for your hardware is the only option you have. think about a downtime for your vm and then just do it.

the normal way is to deploy the cluster, check all functions and after that put productive vms on it, not deploy vms and check functionality afterwards.

the people here tried to help you - so please listen to them

0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

Did you try any other CPU model like Penryn, Sandy Bridge etc,

Or provide vpxd.log for looking which vm is causing the issue, then you required only power off that vm.

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos
imran75
Contributor
Contributor

i said i can migrate with vmotion without cluster in old version but now i cant turn off vms.because it is not allowable to turn off.

0 Kudos
imran75
Contributor
Contributor

yes i tried all options and also amd processor and intel processor.please also help me how i can find log file

0 Kudos
imran75
Contributor
Contributor

cd /var/log/vmware/vpxd/vpxd.log is it this?

0 Kudos
imran75
Contributor
Contributor

cd /var/log/vmware/vpxd/vpxd.log this you mean?

0 Kudos