VMware Cloud Community
ankitrtr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vcenter Database Upgrade

I want to upgrade my Microsoft SQL server to Service pack 2. Will this upgrade affect my vcenter database? Could somebody provide me a method through which I can upgrade my vcenter database to Service Pack 2 in a secure way without causing any damage to the vcenter database. If my current version is on Microsoft SQL 2008 R2 will it cause problems while upgrading my vcenter server from 5.5 to 6.5.? Is it necessary to upgrade to service pack 2?

(Note: According to the compatibility matrix it was showing that upgrading to service pack 2 is a requirement)

Tags (1)
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Rather than focus on patching your MS SQL server, especially if you're on 5.5 and looking to upgrade, you should be planning to migrate to the vCSA where there is no longer the need for an external SQL server to begin with. This solves both problems with one step.

ankitrtr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So once I upgrade to the new VCSA my database will be stored on the appliance itself and I will be able to access it externally?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I've already answered this in your first thread here, which you acknowledged as the correct answer. Why do you keep asking the same questions?