VMware Cloud Community
hi_fly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vcenter 7 DRS. Port groups not defined on all hosts. Will VM migrate to any host?

Hello,

Say we have 6 ESXI hosts in our clustered environment with DRS enabled. Hosts #1 and #2 have port groups (dmz1 and dmz2) unique to them. We have a VM#1 with a network adapter on dmz1. In the event of a DRS migration (say host#1 is taken offline),  will the cluster move VM#1 to host #2 automatically or is it allowed to move to any of the remaining hosts regardless if the port group is defined on it.

Thank You

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

As per my previous reply, DRS cannot perform migrations which vMotion cannot execute.

Those VMs will only run on hosts which have the port group.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The VM can only migrate to a host which has the port group, same as if you tried a manual vMotion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
pmichelli
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

DRS is designed to move VMs to server to server for one or more reasons. As long as that port group (assuming you mean a distributed switch) is across all hosts in the same cluster, then DRS will move the active state of the VM to another host. It does not change storage or vLAN

If you're using standard switches, you need to make sure that port group is available on each host with the same name

0 Kudos
hi_fly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, we are using Standard switches. So the VM will only migrate to a host which has the port group defined? 

I was going to define host groups and vm groups to keep them on the hosts where the port groups defined. But if what you say above is true, then I will not have to do this.

0 Kudos
hi_fly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are using standard switches and all port groups are not defined on all hosts. This is the reason for the question. 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

As per my previous reply, DRS cannot perform migrations which vMotion cannot execute.

Those VMs will only run on hosts which have the port group.

0 Kudos