VMware Cloud Community
dooferuk
Contributor
Contributor

VMware vCenter P2V

Evening All,

I have been attempting to P2V a vCenter 5.1 Standard server running on windows 2008 R2 albeit very unsuccessfully at the moment.  The P2V itself executes absolutely fine.  However when I start up the new VM the vCenter Server service will not start and fails with a generic -2 error code.  Having checked the vpxd logs I can see the following errors:

2016-06-10T04:03:26.800-08:00 [03440 error 'commonvpxLdap'] [LDAP Client] Failed to connect to LDAP: 0x81 (Cannot contact the LDAP server.)
2016-06-10T04:03:27.315-08:00 [03440 error 'utilvpxdLdap'] [VpxdLdap] Failed to create LDAP client
From what I can see on the community pages this is a pretty common fault but none of the obvious fixes have worked for me.  With a little more digging however I think I have found the problem but am unsure of how to fix it.  If I do a netstat -abn on the P2V'd server I can see no dsamain.exe process with TCP 389 open, as a consequence I cannot telnet the box on TCP 389.  However if I resurrect the physical server I can see the process and see TCP 389 open.  What is very strange is that the VmwareVCMSDS service is running.  I cannot understand why this port is not open but it seems to be the hub of my issue.
Can anyone help please?
Thanks
Chris

0 Kudos
3 Replies
davidjones0022
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds like traffic is being denied by the firewall to that port. Firewall source to target exception?

0 Kudos
dooferuk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi David,

Many thanks for your reply.  I have a solution for the issue above it appears.  I did a fresh P2V and brought the server online connected a copy of my production domain controller and no longer get this issue.  So it would seem domain connectivity is a requirement.  However I still cannot start the vCenter server service.  I now get exactly the same error documented in the following KB:

vCenter Server 5.1 fails to start with the error: Unable to create SSO facade: Invalid response code...

Unfortunately the documented fix does not work in my case.  Any advice?

Cheers

Chris

0 Kudos
davidjones0022
Contributor
Contributor

Fortunately for me I have never seen that error. Are the permission for the web.xml file that you replaced per the KB correct?    

0 Kudos