VMware Cloud Community
GSS33
Contributor
Contributor

VMware VirtualCenter failed firstboot An error occurred while starting service 'vpxd'

Hi,

I am trying to install VCenter 6 Server on Server 2012 R2. The server is fully patched, but I get the error:

VMware VirtualCenter failed firstboot

An error occurred while starting service 'vpxd'

Please refer to vSphere documentation to troubleshoot or Please contact VMware Support.

I have tried everything:

Verified SQL Permissions

Log on a service rights assigned to service account and it is a local admin

Windows installer service is running

DSN is all correct and the test is successful

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ggautam7741
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1. Verify that the vCenter Server can resolve the FQDN of the Active Directory server using the nslookup command in a Windows command prompt.

2. Ensure that the Active Directory server is running and accessible from the vCenter Server machine.

0 Kudos
vmhelp201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i am also facing same problem .. i have tried below KB also . but no use.

VMware KB: Upgrading to VMware vCenter Server to 6.0 Fails with the error: VMware VirtualCenter fail...

Regards,

Surya

Surya
0 Kudos
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Also, in addition, please review: Firstboot Failed during Install/Deployment, Upgrade or Migration in vCenter Server and vCenter Serve...

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
Sysxp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've had this problem, from my experience you'll need 3 to 5 attempts for it to install, just make a snapshot before installation and revert to it every time the install fails.

1. VERY IMPORTANT - a FQDN DNS name must be made for vcenter server, and it must work before the installation even begins. Your PDC better be up and running too.

2. When you name your 'vSphere' do not use 'local' at the end. For example, your default name should be "administrator@yourcompanyname.com", not "yourcompany.local". For some reason latest vCenters did not like "local".

I hope this helps. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos