VMware Cloud Community
Zippyh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware Tools on vCenter Server Appliance

Problem: APC UPS: "Powerchute cannot locate the vCenter Server VM in the inventory."

VMware vCenter Server Appliance:

VMware Tools:

Running status: not running

Version 10277 (10.1.5)

Version Status: Guest Managed

Installation Type: Open-Source VMware Tools

Trying to install VMware Tools via CD mount:

See attachment 1

Trying to uninstall old VMware Tools:

See attachment 2

Checking installed VMware Tools:

See attachment 3

Problem 2: I cannot seem to manage to uninstall the old open-source VMware Tools that my UPS does not see.

Anyone got any tips?

Some online tip said: "sudo rm -R /etc/vmware-tools" but that seems kinda risky, not?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ok, it appears you've just installed this vCSA and are trying to do this. I can tell from your screenshots that you haven't deployed the vCSA correctly. You need to delete and re-deploy at this point. VMware Tools are already installed on the appliance and start when the system starts. Because that isn't happening is further evidence that this appliance has not been deployed correctly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ok, it appears you've just installed this vCSA and are trying to do this. I can tell from your screenshots that you haven't deployed the vCSA correctly. You need to delete and re-deploy at this point. VMware Tools are already installed on the appliance and start when the system starts. Because that isn't happening is further evidence that this appliance has not been deployed correctly.

0 Kudos
Zippyh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm not surprised you are telling me this.

As this was done 'before my time' here and I've had a few issues and misconfigs by the external IT firm..

I hoped to patch up stuff they did but in this instance it does seem more likely that the vCSA has to be re-deployed.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think you'll have less success in patching up stuff than you will if you just start fresh and do it right. Not only will it alleviate some of your current issues but it'll put you in a more future-proof state.

0 Kudos
Zippyh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can I just delete the vCSA and reinstall another one? What procedures have to be followed?

I haven't installed it personally yet.

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, you can delete and re-deploy. Keep in mind I don't know your environment and what all you have "hooked up" to it including hosts and their configuration. So you'll need to do some serious study of documentation and blog articles to understand how to go about this, but the deployment process is not complex. Biggest thing to keep in mind is vCenter requires forward and reverse DNS records to be set up in your local DNS server prior to starting installation. Without it installation will fail.

0 Kudos
Zippyh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the fast replies.

We have two ESXi hosts. One active, one replication and another disaster recovery somewhere else.

The main thing I think about now is the UPS (which can't find vCSA anyway) and the Veeam backupserver.

If my hosts with their VMs just keep running, I don't see any other direct issues as everything is just bound to our active host.

On the DNS:

We are in a global domain, where the DNS is in Germany, as we are in Belgium.

What exactly needs to be done? as I don't even have the rights to do it. So I can ask it to the admins there.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Do you have an internal dns? You need a A record and a PTR record for the vCSA.

0 Kudos
Zippyh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Could you provide me with some sort of screenshot about this?

As the DNS listing for our domain is huge, I don't seem to find any vCSA DNS related records at all at this point.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What is the hostname for this vCenter? That hostname needs to have two DNS records (A and PTR) in whatever local DNS server it's configured to use.

0 Kudos
Zippyh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We had a local domain here, but that has been merged with a global .com domain.

Since then everything moved over to the main branch company. I'll have to check the DNS records.

The running VM for the vCenter is named: Hostname: photon-machine

DNS IP server 1: local

Where Forward lookup zone = German branch office .com domain

Where Reverse lookup zone = empty

DNS IP server 2: German

No access.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If your vCenter has the name "photon-machine" that means it was not deployed successfully and needs to be deleted and re-deployed with proper forward and reverse DNS records in place.

0 Kudos
Zippyh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not surprised at all. I'll see to redeploy it with the needed DNS records and FQDN.

As this is a global domain I could not keep the name photon-machine.company.com anyway.

I would have had to rename it anyway and create/ask to create the DNS records.

Think it might be good to redeploy this.

Thank you for the fast replies and confirmations!

0 Kudos